This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

X-E3 - transferring photos to a PC using a hard connection?

Discussion in 'X-E1, X-E2, X-E2S and X-E3' started by shinbone, Feb 11, 2018.

1. Goldingd

Goldingd Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Probably time to visit a friends computer rig with your camera and cable(s) and see if it behave differently, and to try his/her cable.
    And do you perhaps have an previous Fujifilm camera to experiment with using the cables on hand? I suspect a cable issue.

Sounds like you have tried everything mentioned in the following (non fuji product) link: Please login or register to view links

2. shinbone

shinbone New Member

-Return to Top-

I will be going out of town for a few days, starting early tomorrow morning. Time to pack, etc. I'll pick this up when I return.

Goldingd - Thanks for all your suggestions.

3. shinbone

shinbone New Member

-Return to Top-

I am on the road, now. I did order two new short cables from Amazon to try out when I get home.

4. robcran

robcran New Member

-Return to Top-

I can second everything Shinbone has done and experienced. I have tried my E3 with:
    at least two different USB cables, one only 6" long
    on two different Win 10 computers
    with and without MyFinePix Studio running

Every time the computer does not even "see" the camera as a device. I eventually reached the conclusion that the USB terminal on the camera is faulty. However since I nearly always use a card reader for downloads it is not a massive deal, except that it is an annoyance that even a simple USB link won't work. The Bluetooth and wifi links do actually work but not without their problems.

If someone can work it out I look forward to reading how the trick is done in future.

5. shinbone

shinbone New Member

-Return to Top-

robcran - thanks for your input. It is super helpful to know the problem is not unique to me. I’ll keep messing with mine, but My thought is Fuji does not provide a USB driver for the X-E3.

6. mugmedia

mugmedia Premium Member

-Return to Top-

If “USB” is appearing on your camera’s screen when connected to the computer with a cable, it seems to me the USB port on the camera is probably not defective as suggested above. I’m wondering if the problem is Windows related. Do you have access to a Mac you could try, just to see if it works? On my Macs, I have no trouble connecting via USB cable and importing photos from any of my cameras, including the X-E3. Don’t expect the camera to appear on the desktop or something though… it doesn’t. You’ll have to run software that recognizes the X-E3 to import images, but there are three free programs bundled with MacOS that will do this: Image Capture, Preview, and Photos. I personally don’t use those, but they are there and will do the job. I normally use GraphicConverter for importing via USB, but Photoshop Elements will also do it (both recognize the X-E3 just fine).

7. Ted W

Ted W Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I have a 7 yo Vostro running W10. I just connected my X-E3 to it via a USB cable.
    In windows explorer, 'X-E3' appears in the left pane and when I click on it, the SD storage device appears in the right pane in the usual way.

Much the same thing happens when I connect my X_E1.

Windows should create a 'plug and play' driver without any fuss, so possibly there my be some sort of hardware conflict with your particular computer.

As others have suggested, the logical thing to do now would be to try connecting to a different computer.

Hope this helps.

8. shinbone

shinbone New Member

-Return to Top-

More great input, thanks. It seems the simple photo editor that comes with Windows 10 should be able to do the job, though.

This is the first time I have hooked any camera up to a USB port since upgrading this computer to Windows 10. I’ll locate another computer to test the new X-E3 on, and I’ll dig up one of my retired digital cameras to test on my computer.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
  9. namartlu

namartlu New Member

-Return to Top-

Also just Plug-and-Play for me - X-E3 and Windows 10.

10. shinbone

shinbone New Member

-Return to Top-

Namartlu - are you saying Windows 10 recognized the camera on the USB port with no extra effort by you? Are you running any photo software like Elements, etc?

11. namartlu

namartlu New Member

-Return to Top-

That is correct, just tried again on my other computer - a laptop with Windows 10. First time connecting my X-E3 to it. I connect the Micro-USB cable, turn on the camera, and then Windows does its thing, and it shows up as a USB device (name X-E3) in Explorer. On camera LCD, "USB" is displayed. I don't have any special software installed.

12. shinbone

shinbone New Member

-Return to Top-

Hmmmm. Very interesting. Thanks. I wonder why my PC isn’t cooperating?

Glad I’ve got new cables coming in the mail. Gotta find another computer to try, too.

13. mugmedia

mugmedia Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Hopefully the cable is all the problem amounts to. I don't think I've ever had a USB cable fail, but I've had thunderbolt and firewire cables go bad for no apparent reason at all, in spite of careful handling or almost none... working one day, dead the next.

14. shinbone

shinbone New Member

-Return to Top-

I am finally back home, and have some success to report.

I tried my new 1.5' USB cable with no luck. A brand new cable, half the maximum length, didn't work. I was seriously disappointed and ready to give up right there.

As an after thought, I dejectedly plug in my new 0.5' USB cable, and to my utter shock, the computer recognized the camera. Works just as expected. Hooray!

I tried again with the 1.5' cable, and it still wouldn't work. For the first time, though, I did get an error message saying the USB device I just plugged malfunctioned and to try again. I did try again, and this time nothing happened.

The Fuji User Manual says the USB cable should be no longer than 3.5' However, on my new camera, neither two different 3.25' nor a 1.5' cables worked. Not sure if a 1.0' cable would work cause I don't have one to try. But a 0.5' cable does work.

Anyone know if the type of USB card has any bearing on this issue?

Also, it seems odd that the USB cable would have to be that short to function properely , and the inability to drive the User Manual-specified cable length causes me a little concern that there is a minor problem with the related USB circuitry . . . ?

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
  15. Goldingd

Goldingd Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Not all USB cables follow the standards, some, despite brand name, some despit cost, might be shit. Quality of material, quality of manufacture, are all wires required included, are all wires terminated in ends, is wiring routes correct,

Incidentally, the USB hardware, firmware, software, etc in many digital cameras may or may not fully support USB standards, at least one third party manufacturer of wired smart remote controls (fancy ones, with time last, hdr, focus stacking, etc) claim this and often only support Canon, Nikon, and one Sony. Hmmm, having stated that, I cannot find an exemplar

Edit/add on. I have had USB cable issues with both my Fujifilm cameras and a Garmin GPS, and not restricted to length.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
    Richard_Reich likes this.
  16. namartlu

namartlu New Member

-Return to Top-

Umm... that's weird. My cables are standard 3ft ones... nothing special. Try some other computers if you can.

17. Richard_R

Richard_R Eclectic eccentric Staff Member

-Return to Top-

Dodgy cable or dodgy USB port. As you have tried multiple cables I would be suspecting dodgy USB port. Sounds to me that it is not putting enough power into the line.

18. mugmedia

mugmedia Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Sounds about right. I've been using the same 3-foot USB cable for my E2 and T2 (and now E3) for years with no trouble at all. I have to use a different cable for the E1 and S1 because their connectors are different, but again, for those I've used the same 2-foot cable for 4+ years.

19. shinbone

shinbone New Member

-Return to Top-

I got my hands on another computer. It is a laptop running Windows 10. I tried out all 4 of my USB cables. The 0.5’, the 1.5’ cable, and one of the 3.25’ cables work with the X-E3 and this new computer. But one of the 3.25’ cables does not work with the camera and this computer.

So, I definitely have one bad 3.25’ cable, and, I think, the USB card on my computer may have some problems, too.

I will look into replacing the USB card on the computer. If it is flaky now, it is just a matter of time before it gets worse, causing all sorts of mischief along the way.

What a pain! At least I am making progress, though.

20. namartlu

namartlu New Member

-Return to Top-

Good that it looks like not a problem with your camera. :)