This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

X-T10 vs 20 and a couple of questions

Discussion in 'X-T2, X-T1, X-T20, X-T10' started by cebrooker, Oct 11, 2017.

1. cebrooker

cebrooker New Member

-Return to Top-

Hello,

I have a Canon 5D mk2 which I am sick of - too heavy, clumsy and feel a Fuji is a good move for me.

I do a bit of everything so am looking for a range of lenses - once I have sold my 5D I am expecting to have £1000 to spend so is it worth getting a second hand X-T10 and then £700 worth of lenses?

I am looking at the mk1 50-230 and possibly the Meike 6.5mm F2 along with another couple.

Also, can you program the shutter length for a specific time in bulb mode?

Thanks for your help,

Charles

2. GregWard

GregWard Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Welcome to the forum.

I don't have either - so might not be in the best position to advise. But, on the positive side, the X-T20 is much closer to the X-T2 than the "10" was to the "1". Obviously that means there are quite a few areas where the "20" is quite a bit better. For example the AF is very nearly the same as the "2" and so a huge (potential) improvement.

But - do any of those theoretical advantages translate into things that matter to you at all? It's not that the X-T1/X-T10 couldn't autofocus for example. They're just not as good (and in the case of the X-T2 not as configurable) at really fast AF. That either matters to you and the sort of images you want to be able to take - or it doesn't? Likewise the sensor - sure the "20" has 24mp to the "10's" 16mp. But so what? Do you need 50% more mp? Again - some people would say "yes" - but for most it's actually quite rare to really need to extra.

Of course the real advantage of the "10" is how much money you can save - and, therefore, spend on lenses - and it's still a good camera. I'd wager you'd get more out of the money spent on lenses than you would on the useful differences between the "10" and the "20" if you have a hard budget limit? However, saving money now - then deciding to swap for the X-T20 might well be a false economy. So I'd really look through the differences and consider a longer term viewpoint? Are there things about the newer camera you would really want? Are you prepared to think about how you might spend over time and not just now or is the £1k it?

3. DaveX

DaveX Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I moved from Canon to Fuji, I have the X-T2 and X-T20 with the 50-230mm both the X Ts are great. The T20 is smaller but a very good camera and imo is up to anything you throw at it, but it is not weather sealed.

4. Gethyn Clothier

Gethyn Clothier Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

Hello Charles and welcome to the forum.

Perhaps decide which lenses you might want to buy, either immediately or in the future when funds allow, then work from there. I would also suggest holding the X-T10 and 20, with a couple of lenses (especially the 50-230mm if you definitely want that) to see what they feel like. You might also like to consider a used X-T1 since it is a little larger, and therefore may be more comfortable and balance better with the XC zoom lens. It's not much more expensive than a used X-T10, but has a larger EVF, weather sealing and more dials to play with!

If I understand your second question correctly then no, you can't program the shutter length in bulb mode - you have to keep the shutter pressed manually either with the shutter button or with a remote release.

5. DaveX

DaveX Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Surely with a remote release cable you can lock it ?

6. Gethyn Clothier

Gethyn Clothier Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

Yes you can lock it, but not program it - you have to manually unlock it when you want the shutter to close.

DaveX likes this.
  7. Arjay

Arjay Admin Staff Member

-Return to Top-

Yes. Use the T setting on the shutter speed dial; when selecting "T", you can program a shutter speed between 1/4000s to 30s using the front command dial. This applies both to the X-T10 and the X-T20.

In T mode,you program the shutter speed, and this speed will be used when you press the shutter release (you don't need to hold it in that case).

8. RaceyRace

RaceyRace Member

-Return to Top-

I have both xt10 and X-T20. In practice I haven’t noticed a huge difference moving up from the 20 to the 30.

The megapixel increase is not a huge deal assuming you are not printing huge images.

Auto focus may be faster but again in practice I don’t notice a huge difference. Maybe more important for sports but I suspect lens choice will have a bigger impact.

You don’t get acros jogs on the 10 if that’s important.

When let its always nice to have the latest, I’d be tempted to recommend going xt10 and extra lenses, and then upgrading to the xt30 when that comes out in a year or so.

The lenses you will keep for a long time but there will always be a new body to upgrade to just around the corner.

9. kiwitracks

kiwitracks Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

Just be careful that the X-T10/20 (and to a lesser extent also the X-T1/2) will feel TINY in comparison to what you're used to with the Canon. I realize that you want to shed weight/size, but you should try out whether the X-T10/20 is "big enough" for your hands. Some people struggle with the small form factor...

GregWard likes this.
  10. GregWard

GregWard Premium Member

-Return to Top-

+1 - I think this is good advice if you haven't tried one already? The two are pretty similar (from a size pov) so either an X-T10 or X-T20 would do I think.

11. cebrooker

cebrooker New Member

-Return to Top-

Thanks all for your input. I have got an X-T10 coming tomorrow with a 12mm Samyang F2 and a 50-230 to keep me going. I might get one of the Meike 6.5 at some point. Now to get rid of the 5D or the wife will kill me!