This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

X-T10 vs X-T1 nose smashing

Discussion in 'X-T2, X-T1, X-T20, X-T10' started by Tillman_b, Nov 14, 2017.

1. Tillman_b

Tillman_b Active Member

-Return to Top-

I have an X-T10 that I really like for features, but I feel like I really have to smash my nose to get my eye to the viewfinder. I don't really care about oil smears on the screen, but I find it uncomfortable to do this. I am considering selling it in favor of the X-E2 but I noticed the eyepoint spec is slightly longer on the X-T1.

Anyone who has experience with both cameras care to comment on whether they both feel the same or if the X-T1 requires less nose smashing? Thanks!

2. dincz

dincz Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

Smash? I hope it heals quickly.

3. Dirk Offringa

Dirk Offringa Premium Member

-Return to Top-

When I got my X-T1 a couple of years ago, being used to my x100S, the "nose-smashing" was quite worrisome indeed for me. I couldn't get close enough to block ambiant light from coming in from the sides, interfering with the viewfinder especially in bright light outdoors. I ordered the larger X-T2 eyepiece and that was a huge improvement. Yet the "nose-smashing" experience is still one of the reasons I might consider the X-Pro2 (or successor) over the X-T2 (or successor) when it'll be time to upgrade, which is not anytime soon given the quality of prints I get out of my 3 16MP bodies (X100S, Xpro-1, X-T1).

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
  4. johant

johant Premium Member

-Return to Top-

About the same for me, between the X-T1 and X-T10. As a glasses wearer, I prefer the X-T1. The "nose smearing" is one of the reasons why I think touch screens for cameras are a stupid idea.

MontyBigglesworth and YogiMik like this.
  5. tijuana taxi

tijuana taxi Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Had a E2 and T1, latter hardly got used because I wasn't keen on the nose flattening and snotty LCD

Much prefer my current line up, Pro2 and E2, also probably helps that it suits me with a dominant right eye

6. YogiMik

YogiMik Premium Member

-Return to Top-

After a year of using X-T1, I was seriously fed up. I'm a leftie in glasses. I was seriously considering a different system, when Fuji finally have godsend X-Pro2. A camera is a little wider than X-T1, and a EVF is on the left corner. It was such a relieve for me, even when EVF has smaller magnification and longer eye point. I can survive for now, as I like camera a lot, but I'm still looking up for a MILC with better EVF, but not Sony, nor Canon. Try X-Pro2.

7. YogiMik

YogiMik Premium Member

-Return to Top-

They push those touch screens, because are cheaper to produce. Well, I see the point, Fuji want to offer cheaper camera and lenses, too. To attract more potential customers to hook up with Fuji. I'm waiting for a X-Pro3 with great EVF, and better MF support. But, if they remove buttons, and put a touch screen, I'll be pissed off, and will not buy it.

James King likes this.
  8. YogiMik

YogiMik Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Well, as a effect of rubbing nose to the screen, it was difficult to heal skin infections on my nose.
    I'm a very patient person, but after a year I was really fed up.

9. Irene McC

Irene McC Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Your subject line made me curious and reading it has made me smile.
    I am left-eyed, live in a sunny country and use make up and sunscreen.

My rear screens are NEVER clean.

10. barry S

barry S Active Member

-Return to Top-

I think you can buy a nose guard on ebay.

11. MontyBigglesworth

MontyBigglesworth Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Indeed, on a phone a touch screen is a "no-brainer" but for some reason I never liked the idea of a touch screen on a camera - possibly because I rarely use the rear screen!
    Fuji have probably added touch screens it to appeal to the masses; If you look at comparison sites they always knock Fuji cameras down because of the lack of touch screen.
    At some point my XT1 will die, I hope that if the replacement comes with a touch screen, I can disable it and still navigate menu's with the joy stick.

If they added a really huge touch screen that covers the rear of the camera they could get rid of the viewfinder and all those silly old fashioned knobs and dials to appeal to the "fine-pix" clan... ;)

12. Mr. Pick

Mr. Pick Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I have an X-E2 and an X-T1. I had the X-E2 first and avoided the X-T1 exactly because of the nose issue. But, one day I found a like new used X-T1 at a very reasonable price and bought it. The E2 has hardly been out of the bag since. With the longer eye cup, the nose issue is not too bad. In fact, I never think of it at all anymore. And the larger EVF, along with the optional eyecup to block ambient light, means I can see what I'm shooting so much better that any nose inconvenience is worth it for me. But, everyone is different, so YMMV.

13. RedWagon

RedWagon Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Keep the X-T10 and get a nose job?

I have an X-T1 and am used to an oily screen.

14. pfogle

pfogle Puzzled

-Return to Top-

I have an enormous conk (according to my wife! ;) ) and I use the XT1 with the accessory longer eye cup, and have never had a problem with smearing or smashing.

Only option is to try it and see. Everyone is different.

CWRailman and RedWagon like this.
  15. YogiMik

YogiMik Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Maybe, your conk is that big, that goes outside of camera frame :D

pfogle likes this.
  16. MA128

MA128 Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

Hmmmmm. I have an X-T10 and never noticed. As you can see, I have a pretty large schnozzola.

17. Tillman_b

Tillman_b Active Member

-Return to Top-

I think I'm nitpicking a bit. I came from a Sony DSLR but the viewfinder on that camera sits back a little, so while my nose touches the screen, it's not pressed against it. I noticed that I can tilt my head over a little and this allows my nose a little breathing room (pun absolutely intended) but it's still pushed to the side a bit. My other camera is a X100 so maybe I'm just getting used to that viewfinder which allows me to put the camera to my eye without contacting my nose. I am going to try and sell my X-T10 and get a X-E2. I like my tilting screen but I'm having a lot of trouble adapting to this camera.

The funny thing is that I've got an old Pentax Spotmatic, and I've used a half dozen other old SLR's and never felt like my nose was pressing too hard against the camera, so maybe it's the combination of things that I find awkward about the camera amplifying my nitpicky reactions. Thanks for the input everyone, I think I need to stop complaining and take some photos.

18. johant

johant Premium Member

-Return to Top-

The Spotmatic has a leatherette covering, on which (in my experience) nose smears are much less noticeable.

19. Tillman_b

Tillman_b Active Member

-Return to Top-

Yeah a couple swipes with a rag and it blends right in the the decades of other nose smears on the Spotmatic.

20. Irene McC

Irene McC Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Haha well said