This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

X-T2 and Canon Speedlite

Discussion in 'Fuji X Flash and Artificial Lighting (LED, etc.)' started by DET, Dec 7, 2017.

1. DET

DET New Member

-Return to Top-

I am a Fuji newbie, just coming over from Canon DSLRs. I've got most of my Canon gear up for sale. So far I haven't listed my Canon 580EX II Speedlite. Will it work with my new Fuji X-T2? I apologize if this has already been addressed.

2. rluetzen

rluetzen Active Member

-Return to Top-

I kept my Canon Speedlites 580EXII and 430EXII and use them for off-camera. I use Flash Q triggers and they work as advertised. Inexpensive solution if you are comfortable with no TTL or HSS, strictly manual.

3. inkista

inkista Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Theoretically, it should fire in sync just fine if you use it on the hotshoe of the X-T2. Its sync voltage is safe, and it's ISO-compatible. I've used my 580EXII on the hotshoe of my X100T without issues and without having to tape over pins. But. It's manual-only. You don't have TTL and you don't have HSS, and the camera won't recognize it as a Fuji flash or let you control it from the camera menus.

But. You can put the 580EXII in to Ext.M mode (C.Fn-05 = 3), and it will use the external sensor to automate power, if you wanted TTL-ish automation. You will, however, also have to set the ISO and aperture you're using on the flash itself for this to work properly. (Ext.A (C.Fn-05 = 2) is if it's on a Canon hotshoe, and the camera can tell the flash the iso/aperture being used).

I've also been able to use the Yongnuo YN-622C triggers with the X100T and my 580EXII, and had sync and remote manual power level control. But I'm likely to move to a Godox trigger, soon, since I'm transitioning my Canon and mft gear to Godox as well. Cross-brand compatibility is a good thing to have in a triggering system when you shoot multiple systems.

Just don't use an XPro-C on an X100T without taping over the non-sync pins. Found that one out the hard way. :D

If you want a good low-cost TTL/HSS speedlight for Fuji X, though, you may want to consider selling the 580EXII and just getting a Godox -F flavor speedlight (TT350, TT600, TT685, V850II, or V860II).

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017