This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

X-T2+ dilemma.

Discussion in 'Fujifilm X News & Rumors' started by Globares, Dec 7, 2017.

1. Globares

Globares Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

I should have bought an X-T2 two years ago. I considered such purchase recently, but decided to wait for the X-T2 successor. Not that X-T2 is short of any important features, but digital bodies are getting old so fast, that I like to buy a freshly released one. It thought I had a good plan, but the rumors about X-H1 are starting to bother me.

Expected X-H1 features:
    1. The same sensor, 24MP are sufficient, but larger AF area would be nice.
    2. IBIS. Very nice feature, but I usually use wide apertures, so short times are not a problem. Additionally IBIS doesn't freeze the moving objects.
    3. Top LCD display. Well, using Fuji I can see aperture on the lens and time on the body. My SD cards usually have space for more than 36 shots, so I'd prefer old, good compensation dial iso the LCD display.
    4. Bigger than X-T2. Disadvantage for me.
    5. Higher resolution OVF. Nice, but not a real plus if size is the same (0.77 magnification). The X-T2 OVF is already great, but a bigger one would be even greater. New Panasonic G9 has 0.83 OVF.
    6. Internal F-log. Important feature, but I only do stills.

What do you think? Will we have an "X-T2s" with new sensor and IBIS next year?

2. robert

robert Administrator Staff Member

-Return to Top-

It already exists. It won’t be called that model name however.

3. Jonimages

Jonimages Premium Member

-Return to Top-

You will go crazy trying to predict what the future will be. I doubt we will have a new sensor until the refresh of the xpro3 and xt3. You can wait forever and miss out on great experiences with your camera now. Whatever you buy will be outdated. I either buy when to comes out and maximize the life of the camera or wait and get it at a cheaper price if I don't need something now. I bought the X-T2 on preorder. I'm waiting for more substantial news about the x-h1 as I want a backup to my X-T2, or use my my X-T2 as a backup. If the buffer, battery life and ads are quicker on the x-h1 then i will probably buy the x-h1. If not then I'm going to find deals on the X-T2.

Only you can decide what you need. All we know is there is will be a x-h1. We don't know if there will be a xt2s but there will probably be an xt3. If you want to guess about a new sensor, keep track of what Sony releases in the APS-C format. If they come out with a new sensor more than likely Fuji will tweak it for their purposes unless they use another supplier. Current sensor tech as hit a wall so I don't see much improvement with a new sensor unless new technology is used.

Dan Bailey likes this.
  4. GregWard

GregWard Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I kind of know what you mean about wanting to buy "fresh". But then you are listing a lot of things you don't really want or need. You're accepting others might - but who cares about them? You are the only person that matters when it's your camera (and your money) we are talking about. Maybe you need to step back and think about what you DO want?

Then two questions would seem to be relevant:

- Q1 what (if anything) does the X-T2 (pr X-Pro2 etc for that matter) do that your current camera does not? Does that make an upgrade sensible?
    - Q2 what might you want in "NewCamera" that might entice you to upgrade?

5. Globares

-Return to Top-

According to the latest rumors the X-T2s will be called X-H1, but the letter change suggests a new product line, so maybe there will be another X-T? model, smaller, possibly without IBIS.

6. robert

robert Administrator Staff Member

-Return to Top-

There will be other models too, but there won’t be one named X-H1

7. SopheNic

SopheNic Active Member

-Return to Top-

I just recently purchase a new X-T2 at the end of October. I was in the same boat as you, unsure if I should wait for the successor or not. Now that I see what the XH1 is shaping out to be I'm glad I pulled the trigger. Everyone's needs may be a bit different, but in body stabilization isn't a huge need for me personally. I do a lot of weird Intentional Camera Movement stuff so I'm actually looking for the opposite of optical stability. I think the size of the X-T2 is perfect, so if the drawings of the xh1 is true and its larger I'm all set. The digital display is a turnoff for me as well. I use the exp comp dial constantly. What I've always like about the Fuji system is that its oldschool with dials and switches everywhere. Not sure what the top display would help with while sacrificing the exposure comp dial. As for a future xt2s/xt3, one can always be waiting around for the next big thing. pull the trigger now, you wont be disappointed.

Globares likes this.
  8. Jonimages

Jonimages Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Maybe, maybe not. You will drive yourself crazy playing the what if scenario and the continual trading up mentality . Meanwhile you miss out on photographic experiences now. No one on these boards can give a credible answer as to what is in the pipeline. All we can do is speculate on the past.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
    Mr SMW and Dan Bailey like this.
  9. jptsr1

jptsr1 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I will definitely buy a X-T2 when whatever the next thing is comes out. My XE3 satisfies my new bells and whistles needs for now.

Dan Bailey likes this.
  10. fujixacros

fujixacros Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I know, it's not going to help you, but the X-T2 was announced on July 7, 2016.
    Please login or register to view links
    And avalaible a couple of months later.

11. surfdogs

surfdogs Active Member

-Return to Top-

With instant information available, the 'training to consume' is ever more hungry. Leading to the crazed data analysis and comparison. Whenever I've been caught up in that, I try to stop and notice. How am I feeling at this moment? The answer is always, 'tense, stressed'. Never, relaxed, curious, happy and at peace.
    The antidote for me? Simply looking at the forum what's new page .. seeing members posting interesting, creative amazing images ... and noting their data information .... shot with X-Pro1 . Shot with XE2. Shot with 100s.

Pedro1948, Fujiphotog and SopheNic like this.
  12. Globares

-Return to Top-

A good deal for X-T2 wouldn't be bad, but probably one of the motivations to use X-H* name is to keep the X-T2 value, so I don't expect any drastic (e.g. 40%) drop. Regarding the Sony chips, I think they already have some 24MP sensors with bigger AF area.

A1. Currently I shoot with the X-E2 (talking about the XF mount). The major benefits of X-T2 for me are OVF and ergonomics (right size, joystick, much lower risk of accidental change of settings, articulated screen is another important feature.
    AF speed is not so big deal for me, but X-E2 can be slowish, X-T2 is a big improvement, fully sufficient for me.

A2. IBIS is one nice feature, but not sufficient alone. Other important features would be:
    - even bigger OVF (0.83).
    - bigger AF area, better ISO performance would be nice, too, but in practice the X-T2 one is good enough.
    - better articulated screen - the X-T2 one is somehow limited regarding the possible movements and positions.
    - Joystick and good ergonomics - not the new features - but required to be kept.

SopheNic likes this.
  13. streetsntravel

streetsntravel Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I might recommend a different thought process. What do you need now to make the kind of images you are required to make.

I personally don't think it's productive to plan where your photography will be in the future and therefore what kind of equipment you will need to meet that vision. I do think it's important to take as many images as possible right now and use each one as an impetus to growth and maybe even profit. That growth curve will dictate what you need.

I was surprised to hear that the X-T2s might become the X-H1 with larger size (considering just size alone). That seemed to signal a product direction change. I invested in the X-system for smaller size. I have no idea how to interpret this information, I was just surprised.

14. Micky

Micky Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I'm done buying the latest cameras ... I'm off of the merry-go-round!

I have the X100F and the X-T2 with XF90WR, XF16WR, XF23WR the XF23 F1.4 and the ubiquitous 16-55 WR

Now concentrating on taking better photographs, capturing the moment ...

My cameras are better than me, so what's the point of upgrading :(

The money thus saved will go towards my travelling and life 'on the road' ;)

Topsy likes this.
  15. Solsdad

Solsdad Member

-Return to Top-

I am actually pretty excited by rumors of x-h1. Ibis, 3 way Tilt screen, touch screen, joystick, bigger grip. X-h1 has everything I was asking compared my x-t1. I did not need 24mp sensor so I did not upgrade to x-t2. X-t2 had only 2 of 5 from my wish lists but x-h1 has everything. I personally do not use exposure compensate dial. I change either, SS, ISO or Aperture. (None of them are in A mode) If all rumors turn true, I am preordering x-h1.
    To me it looks like the size remains the same but only grip gets beefier. I see it as the same size as x-t1 or x-t2 plus extra grip that a lot of people pay extra for.
    This x-h1 will stay with me pretty long time.

16. Marty M

Marty M Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Every latest greatest camera will very soon be downgraded to "still capable" when the next one gets released. Often the only improvements are bragging rights!

17. Richard_R

Richard_R Eclectic eccentric

-Return to Top-

Then wait.
    Lets all get on with life rather than indulging in speculation about something that the OP said he was going to do in his opening two sentences.

Dan Bailey likes this.
  18. Globares

-Return to Top-

Well, I'll probably wait till the spring with purchase. Winter is not my favorite photographic season, anyway, especially since snow is in short supply. I agree with all the opinions that the photographs are important, not the cameras, but I'm not ashamed to pay attention to the photographic gear, either. Photography is my hobby, taking photos is part of the pleasure and good, enjoyable tools help it. I admit I'm not GAS-free (lenses...) :).
    @SopheNic
    I took a look at your web page. The color abstract shots were very interesting. I need to try something similar.

Thanks for all the comments.

19. Topsy

Topsy Premium Member

-Return to Top-

+1. :thumbsu:

20. Tillman_b

Tillman_b Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

It started as just a general lack of funds to get the latest/greatest stuff, but anymore I just don't buy new cameras.

I'll buy it when it's a couple years old, but I cannot justify shelling out for a new camera when I KNOW it's going to be worth several hundred dollars less in a fairly short amount of time. I'm happy to get a wholesale deal on a barely used camera that is a couple years old because the person selling is upgrading to whatever new one came out. I mention barely used because this seems to be a trait of people who feel they have a need for new equipment but once they have it don't put it to work, or take a bunch of shots the first couple months then it's iphone photography until the new model is announced.