This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

X-T2 Focusing errors during wedding

Discussion in 'X-T2, X-T1, X-T20, X-T10' started by djbe, Jun 19, 2017.

1. djbe

djbe New Member

-Return to Top-

As I was shooting a wedding today I had the focus refocus as I hit the shutter and make the shot complete garbage.

I switched different modes and lenses. I think I'm making a mistake switching from Nikon. Is it just my X-T2 body is faulty or am I doing something wrong here? I keep reading how amazing the autofocus is but
    1) It's still crap in the dark
    2) I'm missing way more than any DSLR I shot with
    3) It doesn't actually feel fast at all

I used 5 lenses through out the day
    16-55
    50-140
    10-24

Can someone help I tried so many settings and nothing seemed to work.

pharyngealized likes this.
  2. Solo with others

Solo with others Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

Hard to know what might be going wrong without knowing all the settings and conditions. Are you adept at using back button focus?

3. Richard_R

Richard_R Eclectic eccentric

-Return to Top-

Do you have face detection turned on?

4. djbe

djbe New Member

-Return to Top-

That was the only thing I didn't try today.

5. djbe

djbe New Member

-Return to Top-

No tried that before and would focus on the wrong faces

6. Richard_R

Richard_R Eclectic eccentric

-Return to Top-

I have never had my X-T1 refocus on anything all by itself other than when face detection is enabled.

7. djbe

djbe New Member

-Return to Top-

I'm wondering if anyone's had this issue and had to get something repaired or if this is just how fuji "works"

8. Jonimages

Jonimages Premium Member

-Return to Top-

How much time have you spent with the camera? What autofocus settings were you using?

Did you actually test it out before the wedding? The camera is more than capable of handling a wedding. It also requires the user to read the manual and get used to the camera.

9. djbe

djbe New Member

-Return to Top-

Are you using an X-T2 and had this problem?
    I found another guy that has a similar issue and I . think it may just be indoor lighting conditions...I read the manual thanks...

Have you shot in a dark LED lit reception kind of location? That's the sort of lighting it was. What's low light performance like for you? Do most lenses hunt?

10. Woodlink

Woodlink Premium Member

-Return to Top-

single point or zone?

11. Woodlink

Woodlink Premium Member

-Return to Top-

also, is pre-AF enabled?

12. Jonimages

Jonimages Premium Member

-Return to Top-

What camera settings were you using? The X-T2 isn't going to perform as good as a dslr in low light but it isn't horrible. My D3s would hunt in the dark too.

Did you even test the camera before hand? If your main objective is to shoot in low light conditions you bought the wrong camera. I wish the camera performed a bit better in low light but I haven't had problems in low light receptions that would make me want to switch cameras. I'm suspecting a troll at this point as you have not given us your camera setting used, or samples. I find it hard to believe someone would not even test the camera out before shooting an event like this so there would not be any surprises.

13. djbe

djbe New Member

-Return to Top-

I was doing single point for most of it. And I tried Pre-Af enabled and disabled was having the same result.

14. rixpix

rixpix Member

-Return to Top-

This is the main reason I nearly always use back button focus - IME, when I have the shutter button linked to AF I always wind up swearing and would actually prefer totally MF. With BBF (I actually use the front button) I find it to be the best of both worlds. To each his own, and I know that many think it's appropriate, but I just don't get wanting AF to kick in every time I hit the shutter button.

djbe likes this.
  15. llevine

llevine Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I own a X-T1 and two X-T2's. The focusing is greatly improved on the X-T2. Having said that, I recently had focusing, lcd and evf and freezing up issues with one of my X-T2's. I sent the camera to Fuji and they said that the powerboard needed replacement. They did this at no cost under warranty.
    My previous system was Nikon and my last Nikon camera was a D4. Focusing was terrific. I was looking to make a change to a smaller system and selected Fuji X series. The learning curve was difficult but I am overall pleased with the system, costs, reduced weight, bulk and image quality.
    Focusing is not as good as my D4 (a $6,000 camera). But the gap is quickly reducing and I am pleased with the Fuji.
    Did you have your focusing assist light on for your low light. I do find that it helps. Face recognition should be turned off. Also make sure your high perfomance is on.

djbe likes this.
  16. djbe

djbe New Member

-Return to Top-

I'm not a troll but whatever...I don't think you understand the issue...looked at your work nice work but nothing close to what I shoot.

17. djbe

djbe New Member

-Return to Top-

Going to try this setup again and see what results are like tomorrow.

18. djbe

djbe New Member

-Return to Top-

Thank you so much this is the answer I was hoping to find. I'm in the same boat. I switched for a smaller system too. I find that my focus assist light doesn't really kick in that much or at all sometimes when I figure it should. Fuji Canada is only 30 minutes away I'll email them see what they say and go from there. Hopefully this is just a faulty body and not something I just have to put up with.

19. Jonimages

Jonimages Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I do understand perfectly your situation because I have shot in just about every condition you can for a wedding. You still haven't given us anything to help. We need lens combo, shutter setting, ISO, af mode, af custom mode etc.

Did you try the camera out before hand or just go into the wedding without testing? It could very well be the camera and you were shooting in conditions that camera can't handle. Or it could be user error and not knowing how to use the camera in that situation.

If I have a problem I try to recreate it. Have you shot in a more controlled environment? I'll shoot in my living room with just the tv light on and see if the camera can focus. Then I turn lights on. My X-T2 focuses in low light. It's not quick but it does lock focus. Single focus usually works best. When I get in low light situations I'm prepared so I'm not guessing. Have you done anything like this?

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
  20. MikeHuff

MikeHuff Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

I'm not sure I fully understand the times you are saying it refocuses. I can imagine a couple situations when it might. Af-c is the first one, face detect being another.

I think unless you are using full back button focus, which I use exclusively on my Canon gear but am not comfortable with on Fuji, you might need to use the af-l button on the back to lock?

I've been using the X-T2 for only a short time and still trying to figure out the focus performance. I can tell you withthe grip and boost mode enabled I find it much improved conmpared to no grip.