This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

X-T2 Focusing errors during wedding

Discussion in 'X-T2, X-T1, X-T20, X-T10' started by djbe, Jun 19, 2017.

1. MontyBigglesworth

MontyBigglesworth Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I noticed you are shooting in LED lighting? I can see that may be a problem. If the LEDs are cycling through RGB to make white that would screw up the white balance and/or exposure. Also some cheap LED lighting has very little smoothing which causes the LEDs flicker a lot.
    I have found some cheap LED lighting gives me a headache because the flickering is so bad - god knows what that would do to a camera trying to focus!

2. djbe

djbe New Member

-Return to Top-

I thought it was na Af-c issue too but I was set to Af-s and I never use face detect or eye detect

That would be an issue if I had to lock focus every single shot since the buttons are tiny and that's just not practical. I'm trying to figure out if it's my camera or everyone's that does this.

I shoot exclusively with the grip I don't think I can hold the camera for a long time without it.

3. Jonimages

Jonimages Premium Member

-Return to Top-

You have to give us more info. The lens used makes a huge difference. My 56 1.2 hunts, even in good light. My 100-400 will lock better in low light, same as 35 f2, 18-55. Have you tested since the wedding?

4. Photoron

Photoron Premium Member

-Return to Top-

The term " lock focus" is used a lot, & I am not sure the meaning is universally understood. If I am in bbf, continuous focus, & I achieve focus & then release the bbf button, doesn't the camera stop focusing, & remain focused at that last point, & if so, is focus "locked?"

5. rixpix

rixpix Member

-Return to Top-

Not sure what you mean by "full" above, but if BBF is set up on an X-T2 as has been described elsewhere, then simply lifting your finger off the button you've assigned to BBF locks the focus until you press it again (of course you have to decouple AF from the shutter button - an essential part of setting up BBF).

6. rixpix

rixpix Member

-Return to Top-

I take "lock focus" to mean "won't change subsequently by automatic means", as opposed to "lock on" which some people might use to refer to the process of the AF system achieving focus automatically (and possibly then tracking a moving subject).

To answer your question, YES. Of course, as I have mentioned in my previous post, this assumes you have decoupled AF from the shutter button - an essential part of BFF setup.

7. Photoron

Photoron Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Yes, as I have found, but when people mention having to use the AF-l button to "lock" focus, even when in bbf, the terms become unclear.

8. jecottrell

jecottrell Member

-Return to Top-

If you made the switch to Fuji without trying it first, and have sold your Nikon kit, yes you have made a mistake. Fuji is NOT a DSLR. Some people make it work and are happy with it, many can't and are not.

The autofocus may be fast (as compared to systems that are slower) and I've found it less accurate than my DSLR in low light.

pharyngealized and Photoron like this.
  9. Solo with others

Solo with others Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I don't feel I am getting enough information from the OP to help them (even though it has been asked for). I'm starting to think they are looking for validation more than help. Nothing more than my opinion.

10. trainer

trainer Premium Member

-Return to Top-

What size focusing point were you using? I believe under low light the camera uses contrast detect autofocusing. You do have to find an area with contrast to place the focus point on. Also the focus points are not cross type. More setting info on the shoot would be helpful.

11. X-Carey

X-Carey Member

-Return to Top-

I suggest you guys read this thread: Please login or register to view links
    and comment on whether you see the same thing with the X-T2. Thanks.

12. djbe

djbe New Member

-Return to Top-

UPDATE:
    Reset everything installed newest firmware and everything works fine.

I am shooting back button focus and I can't seem to recreate the problem in the same lighting situation. I tried af-c and af-s and it's all working fine now.

To all the guys that genuinely believed me thanks to those that didn't thanks too ;)

New problem why did Fuji make the frame no full error a thing?!

13. X-Carey

X-Carey Member

-Return to Top-

So with the latest firmware, do you experience the changing focus with half-press as explained in the above link? Inquiring minds want to know. Thanks! I'm hoping X-T20 will get an upgrade to fix it.

And what the heck is a "frame no full" error?

14. djbe

djbe New Member

-Return to Top-

Nope no problem anymore. Frame Number Full error is when your camera is set to renew instead of continuous. When you shoot to 9999 every image you try and shoot will come up with the frame no full because for some stupid reason it won't reset itself.

Solution change cards, format take a shot then change to continuous.