This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

X-T2 freezing

Discussion in 'X-T2, X-T1, X-T20, X-T10' started by llevine, Apr 17, 2017.

1. llevine

llevine Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I've seen older posts relating to the T1 and T2 freezing. I thought I would refresh this issue. I have two X-T2's. I bought the first one about 6 months ago and the 2nd one about two months ago. I used the first one with a Vertical Battery Grip. I started to have freezing up issues where the view finder would show the last image taken, the image was saved to the card, the batteries used were the latest variety, the SD cards were either reasonably late versions of Lexus or Sandisk. I thought the problem related to the grip and I sent it back to Fujifilm and they couldn't find any issues but finally decided to send me a new grip. It seemed that the issue was resolved. When the freezing occurred the only solution was to remove the battery in the camera and then replace it.

Yesterday, my newer T2, without a battery grip but using the latest battery, cards, etc froze up several times. I did have the EF-x500 flash mounted and in use. Later the flash was not mounted or being used and the camera froze up again. This happened several times.

I have not been able to pinpoint what causes this to happen but it is happening. I was hoping that someone in the forum may have an answer. I'm leaving in two weeks for a photo trip so I can't send anything back to Fujifilm right now. Thanks.

2. Jonimages

Jonimages Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
  3. Adam Hafner

Adam Hafner Member

-Return to Top-

I had the same thing happen to my X-T20 the other day. A lot of burst shooting with a Delkin UHS-1 U3 card (came free with the Camera) never had a problem before or since with my sandisk cards. Maybe just the card but not sure.

4. 5280Pics

5280Pics Premium Member

-Return to Top-

[IIR] Most of the treads that were started on this issue, all came back to the Memory cards being the issue. I too had issue the first few days after buying my XT-2. I was using a few older SD cards I had laying around. Once I ordered these cards, all my freezing issues went away. I have use the batter grip, and use 3rd part Wasabi batteries as well. No freezes in months. I have even shot a few Basketball games without issue. I hope you get it squared away!

5. mintprime

mintprime Member

-Return to Top-

Is boost mode on?

6. kenbennett

kenbennett Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I still have this happen once in a while. My solution for the X-T2 with the battery grip is to keep two batteries in the grip and none in the body, so if the camera freezes it's very easy to pop out the battery drawer in the grip for a second to reboot the camera.

7. Jonimages

Jonimages Premium Member

-Return to Top-

You can do that with a battery in the body too. Mine froze during a photoshoot and just popping out the battery drawer worked and I had a battery in the body. I'm hoping it's a memory card problem.

8. AnthonyM

AnthonyM Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I had this problem a couple of days ago, the first time in the 7 months I have owned the X-T2. Battery grip was on, Lexar 2000x card. Camera froze with image being reviewed, and could not be cancelled or switched off. I removed the grip, removed the battery from the camera, reassembled, and all was fine. I hope this was a one-off.

9. llevine

llevine Premium Member

-Return to Top-

It happened with new Sandisk Extreme Pro 300mbps write cards. Previously, on my other X-T2, it happened with some slower Fujifilm SD cards and with Lexar cards. I can't pin it down to a specific SD card.

10. llevine

llevine Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Boost mode was on.

11. Filenest

Filenest Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Sorry, no such thing. They surely are up to 300 MB/s READ, but they are ONLY up to 260 MB/s write. Source: Extreme PRO SD UHS-II Card | SanDisk

Anyway, have those cards, grip etc, boost mode on, burst shooting, (100 frames RAW=JPG) I never encountered a problem.

12. AnthonyM

AnthonyM Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Had I been posting four days ago, I would have said I never encountered a problem :(.

13. pixelstate

pixelstate Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

I've not experienced the lock up in over 2 years of use with X-T1 and X-T2 - I use Lexar Pro 2000 (32GB)

I've read that this is likely connected to cards but it's difficult to replicate. Wish I knew what I was doing differently to
    avoid the issue.

14. Jonimages

Jonimages Premium Member

-Return to Top-

My Sandisk card arrived yesterday.Extreme PRO SD UHS-II Card | SanDisk

I have done some quick tests in boost mode, regular mode and no locks up so far. This is shooting until the buffer completely chokes too. I was shooting in the backyard going back and forth between different objects with the shutter pressed so I stressed the camera. Used the 100-400 lens. I hope this means it will not lock up during an actual shoot.

15. M41gr8tpic

M41gr8tpic New Member

-Return to Top-

never had lock up issues with that card since i bought it. and I also tried to stress test on buffering and not lock up either

16. Morten Mitchell Larød

Morten Mitchell Larød Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

I've done a lot of burst shooting (8 fps) with my X-T2 without a battery grip, no issues.
    Cards: Lexar 1000X 64/32 Gb | RAW+Fine | RAW > card #1, JPG > card #2
    Batteries: Fujifilm and eBay

17. cmh

cmh Member

-Return to Top-

My XT1 locked up several times last weekend while shooting bursts. It was with an older memory card Sandisk brand so a new card may relieve the problem. To be clear in all these cases, the card is not the issue. The camera should not lock up because a card cant keep up, it should just slow it down. The camera is the issue.

18. llevine

llevine Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I think you are correct that the camera is the issue. I have had this 'freeze' on both of my X-T2 bodies. Can't seem to replicate it and have used different cards. Fujifilm says that they feel it is the cards but if I keep experiencing it, I should send back the cameras for them to look at. I'm off on a photoshoot until the middle of May so can't send the cameras back until then. I'll report back on my experience with this issue.

19. cmh

cmh Member

-Return to Top-

To be clear - when I say the camera is the issue, I think it is Fuji's FW, and not specific to one camera (it could be worse on your camera than most though). I've been in the electronics industry for a long time and there are ways to make things more compatible with the ecosystem and fail gracefully if an older, or slower SD card is used. For all the good things Fujifilm brings, this is not one of their strengths. Fuji users seem very willing to use workarounds to a lot of these little quirks.

20. Leonardo Kibanoff

Leonardo Kibanoff New Member

-Return to Top-

Mine locked up for the first time after I did the latest firmware- maybe the release of the second firmware will solve that problem.
    battery pull did the job- so far it only happened that one time