This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

X-T20 and lens

Discussion in 'X-T2, X-T1, X-T20, X-T10' started by raynet, Mar 20, 2017.

1. raynet

raynet New Member

-Return to Top-

Hi All,

I am new here.

I am using Canon 650D and would like to switch to Fuji XT-20. I am considering which lens I may purchase with X-T20.

I mainly shoot landscape, street and casual photos. And I will bring to camera for travel.

Here are the consideration:
    1. 10-24 F4
    2. 35 F2 or 18-55 kit
    3. XF 55-200 or XC 50-230 II

10-24 F4 should be "must" for me in wide angle use.

35 F2, 18-55 kit.
    One is prime, one is good quality zoom. If I own both lens, possibility I may just use one of them in most of the time....

XF 55-200 or XC 50-230 II.
    XF 55-200 looks better in many aspects, expect for weight and price. XC 50-230 image quality seems just marginally lower compare with the XF one. Smaller aperture, but much lighter, and cheaper...

Any ideas?

2. MontyBigglesworth

MontyBigglesworth Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

You can pick up an XC50-230 second hand for very little, so how about the 23mm f2 prime and then the XC50-230 for when you need a zoom if you are not a big "zoomer"?

I started off in Fuji World with the 23mm 1.4 and the XF 55-200 zoom. I found I didn't use the zoom much so I sold it and used the money towards getting a second hand 56mm 1.2 - which is amazing - wow!

I then spent about £90-100 and got a second hand XC50-230 for the rare occasions I want a long zoom - being a budget plastic lens it's not as nice to use as the XF zoom but the size and weight is a major advantage. The XC zoom photos are good enough for me if you were a big zoom person you may want to invest in the better zoom. There are plenty of comparisons between the picture quality of two zooms, TBH there's not much in it!

I take a lot of photos (for free) at charity events and for that I use the 56mm 1.2 most of the time and the 23mm 1.4 for group shots, I never use the zoom.

When on holiday I found I was using the 23mm mostly and sometimes the XC Zoom. After a few days I decided to leave the 56mm in the hotel as I never used it.

The little f2 primes you are looking at are great! My partner has the 35mm on f2 on a silver X-E2, as well as looking very retro the photo's are amazing! It's also a better travel lens than my 23mm 1.4 because it's so compact. I would say you would be better with the 23mm f2 over the 35mm f2.

The f2 primes will look very smart on your X-T20 if you get the silver one ;)

Hope that helps!

Pedro1948 likes this.
  3. m8chor

m8chor Member

-Return to Top-

I have a X-T20 and here are my lens and what I use them for:

10-24mm F4: Wide landscape and some real estate shots (I almost always use it at its widest)
    23mm F1.4: "All purpose" lens if "zooming with my feet" isn't an issue or I need the extra f-stop (I use it with the LH-XF23 lens hood, the one that came with it is too big)
    18-55mm F2.8-4: "All purpose" lens if "zooming with my feet" could be an issue, and this is also my movie lens
    56mm F1.2: Portraiture and "bragging rights" once in awhile... "look at the bokeh!"
    55-200mm f3.5-4.8: Any application where I cannot get close to shoot something far away... safari, air show, concert etc...

If I could only have 1 lens, that would be the 23mm f1.4.
    Those lens I have are "large" lens, to balance off the weight and have better grip and handling, I use them with MHG-XT10 handgrip on my X-T20. (It's well worth it imo)
    For the 23mm F1.4, a very attractive alternative is the 23mm F2 for its size and speed... If you can live with a bit of softness wide open.
    I think the center of your decision could be whether if you are a 23mm (35mm equiv) or 35mm (50mm equiv) guy. And you build your kit around that range... For me, 23mm tells more story and is more versatile than the 35mm.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
    MontyBigglesworth likes this.
  4. wmiller549

wmiller549 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I think you are on the right track.

I shoot similar subjects most of the time.
    I never carry more than 3 lenses. I always carry the 10-24 and the 35/1.4.
    The third lens changes between the 18-55, 50-230 and the 90/2.

10-24 - It's versatility makes it a must-have. Sometimes I long for the 16/1.4 that I had for a while. It can do things that the 10-24 can't, but the 10-24 trumps it in terms or all-round usefulness.

18-55 - I still have it, but rarely use it. I've owned three examples and all three had soft corners and exhibited at least some de-centering (one corner was worse than the other three). I've never understood the rave reviews for this lens. As kit lenses go, it's a good one, but that's about as far as I can go. I like having a mid-range zoom, especially for landscape work, because you can't always 'zoom with your feet'. The 16-55/2.8 is stellar and far better than the 18-55, but is big, heavy and pricey. I sold mine and regret it. I'll probably buy another some day.

50-230 II - I only carry it when I think I'm going to need the reach. I've never seen a significant difference IQ-wise between it and the 55-200 (I've owned a couple of those too.) It's tiny and light and cheap. It is however, pretty darn slow. If I used a tele-zoom a lot, I would definitely have the 55-200, otherwise the 50-230 usually does the job.

90/2 - My favorite lens. Useful focal length. Super sharp. Narrow DOF. Gorgeous bokeh. What's not to like? For my 'third lens' I choose it most of the time.

So, my advise: 10-24, 35 (1.4 or 2) and the 55-200. I personally, would go for the 90 instead of the 55-200. Most people are not comfortable limiting themselves to fixed focal lengths, but doing so makes me a better photographer.

Tim Foster likes this.
  5. Dirk Offringa

Dirk Offringa Premium Member

-Return to Top-

+1 for this. I always have the 10-24mm and the 35 f1.4 with me. I have the 18-135mm which is pretty good and versatile, but use it less often since I went the adapted lenses way, so I always have at least two 50-ish lenses in my bag. It happens that's is the FL I'm most comfortable with. I might sell the 18-135mm to get a 50-230II just in case, and put some money aside for the 56 f1,2.

Tim Foster likes this.
  6. raynet

raynet New Member

-Return to Top-

Thanks all.

If I use 55-200 with X-T20, will it be imbalance due to heavier lens for handheld?

7. visorvet

visorvet Premium Member

-Return to Top-

When using larger lenses on this body, I personally find that adding a grip makes everything handle better. I have a cheap $20 one.