This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

X-t20 or iPhone 7(s)

Discussion in 'X-T2, X-T1, X-T20, X-T10' started by andy321, May 17, 2017.

1. andy321

andy321 New Member

-Return to Top-

Thanks for the replies. In short, I'm not a troll but an enthusiast casual hobby photographer. I've been using a good ol' Lumix LX3 for almost 7 years, using my iphone 4s, and borrowed DSLRs along the way. I've been tempted by the x-t20 because of the size, feel, Fuji glass and 'reasonable' price (although turned off by the not made in Japan factor). I have a newborn son and am motivated to document and remember him as I see him now.

I know it's not a 'proper' camera but the iPhone 7 is turning out some gorgeous shots. Have a look through Flickr. Flexibility and hands-on creative control aside do you feel the IQ difference of a Fuji system warrants a stand-alone camera purchase?

2. FrankBB

FrankBB Premium Member

-Return to Top-

How are those iPhone photos when it comes time to print? I've never tried to print an image from a phone, but I would think that anything above about 4x6 might be tough. I could be mistaken though.

3. Greg_E

Greg_E Premium Member

-Return to Top-

iphone 6 and newer cameras are really very good, and you almost always have it with you and ready to go. Yes they print really well up to at least an 8x10 under conditions that would make a point and shoot look horrible. So here you need to decide if you want to take photography farther, or just want to grab keepsake memories. If the X10 cameras were back for $99 like they were a year ago, I would say you would be hard pressed to find a better $100 camera.

The big issue with the XF series cameras will be lenses, it would be easy to drop $1000 on a single high end zoom lens, plus the price of the body. The affordable zooms in the f3.5+ range are just not going to be great is the average snap shoot situation. This is an area where the phones have been honed to the sharpest edge because that is their "normal" condition. It's hard to suggest the T20 and an f2.8 zoom when I know it will be well over $1000, and may not do everything you need it to do without reaching in the bag for a flash, or needing a different lens, etc.

I would be more apt to suggest a used XE2 over the T20 right now, the cost factor is lower. Or a used T1 which can be had for $500 or $600 in the classifieds here, but then you still need a lens or two. Maybe a used T10 to get you going.

4. johant

johant Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I have a X-T1, and a X100T, and I love both cameras. But for a daily walk around, I would still be tempted to buy the best camera phone I could afford.

5. JohnB~100

JohnB~100 New Member

-Return to Top-

If you want flexibility, the X-T20 must be the best choice here.
    If you want a camera that's easy to use and don't feel the need to change lenses, an X70 or X100t or X100f might be a good choice (and give you the ability to get decent quality large prints).
    To just document a moment, an iPhone 'll probably do fine.

Personally, I love my X-T20 and the older X-E2 - but it happens they're not within easy reach. My iPhone SE always is...