This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

X-T3 and Nissin I40

Discussion in 'X-T3, X-T2, X-T1, X-T20, X-T10, X-T100' started by Lon Houseman, Oct 11, 2018.

1. Lon Houseman

Lon Houseman New Member

-Return to Top-

My X-T3 does not recognize the Nissin I40. Is anyone successfully using the X-T3 with a Nissin I40 flash.

2. Lon Houseman

Lon Houseman New Member

-Return to Top-

Still looking for someone using the X-T3 with a Nissin I40. My X-T3 is not recognizing it.

3. Arjay

Arjay Admin Staff Member

-Return to Top-

I have neither the X-T3 or the Nissin i40, but I'm sure other readers would like a little more info about the camera's status: ​
    • Is the camera in AE or manual mode?
    • What shutter speed has been selected?
    • Is Auto ISO disabled?
    • Mechanical or electronic shutter?
    • Have you made sure the flash sits safely against its mechanical stop in the hot shoe; is it locked in position:?
    • etc.?

4. M4cr0s

M4cr0s Premium Member

-Return to Top-

My 1st gen i40 (T1 era) works just fine with the T3. TTL and manual. The HSS "trick" does not sync correctly though. That stopped working a few years back when Fuji revamped their flash protocoll stuff.

5. Lon Houseman

Lon Houseman New Member

-Return to Top-

Camera is in "manual"
    1/60 second
    ISO 1600
    F stop set based on desired DOF
    mechanical shutter
    flash is secure and locked in

When opening the flash menu on the X-T3, TTL is grayed out. The only setting that is available is M. When attached, the flash fires up and pushing the test button on the flash causes the flash to fire. If flash is set to TTL, when shutter is released, no flash. If I set the flash to manual rather than TTL, it fires.

6. M4cr0s

M4cr0s Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Stupid question, but is the flash actually set to TTL or M too? The other modes on the flash does not really work with Fuji.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
  7. Lon Houseman

Lon Houseman New Member

-Return to Top-

Yes. The I40 flash is set to TTL, but TTL in camera flash menu is grayed out. By the way, the EF-X8 flash that came with the X-T3 works perfectly.

8. SithTracy

SithTracy Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Perhaps contact Nissin and see if you can send the i40 in for a factory firmware update. I did it once, and I think they had more firmware releases come out; never bothered sending it back. For on camera bounce stuff (rare), I use the Godox TT350F now.

9. M4cr0s

M4cr0s Premium Member

-Return to Top-

My i40 must be a very early unit, probably a v1.0. Never updated due to shipping hassle. If mine works, others should too. Must be some camera setting we're missing.

10. KernelPanic07

KernelPanic07 New Member

-Return to Top-

Agree with M4cr0s. My XT3 and i40 are working fine. It must be setting related.