This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

X-T3 image quality, your observations please.

Discussion in 'X-T3, X-T2, X-T1, X-T20, X-T10, X-T100' started by Woodworth, Nov 9, 2018.

1. Woodworth

Woodworth Premium Member

-Return to Top-

This is probably something that has already been covered but I've been absent from the forum for a while and haven't found any helpful posts on it yet.

Can anyone tell me if the new sensor delivers images free from the dreaded worms which are an issue for lightroom users with previous Fuji cameras?

Also, have you noticed significant improvements in any other way with the new X-T3 sensor?

Your comments will be much appreciated. Thanks! :)

2. versesinanelegiacmetre

versesinanelegiacmetre Member

-Return to Top-

Had many Fuji cameras, I'm a lightroom user. Never noticed any issues. Probably best to go easy with that tar brush!

3. Woodworth

Woodworth Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Not too sure what you mean by "that tar brush", doesn't seem to be a very helpful comment to me.

The issues I've had are the well documented "worms" which are an artifact produced by using the X-trans sensor and Lightroom. This has been an issue with the various Fujis I've used over the years. One partial solution is to use Irrident and then Lightroom but this is a bit tedious and another seems to be using Capture One but for some reason I simply prefer Lightroom.

4. DaveX

DaveX Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I have the X-T3 and only use Capture one, of all the Fuji X cameras I have used I have never seen the waxy or worms in my images but as I just take images for my enjoyment I don`t blow them up to check.

5. versesinanelegiacmetre

-Return to Top-

It's a common enough phrase in my neck of the woods (where I live). Tarring everyone with the same brushm; meaning to apply something that is a issue for some to all.
    It stems from your comment "...which are an issue for lightroom users with previous Please login or register to view links?".

It's an issue for some lightroom users, certainly not me.

6. 68strat

68strat New Member

-Return to Top-

The worms are still there unfortunately. The best way to minimize them is to turn the Details slider all the way down to zero. I made the switch to Capture One some time ago and the image quality is much, much better.

David Anderson likes this.
  7. Mr SMW

Mr SMW Triple Platinum Member

-Return to Top-

I think it's only an issue in Lightroom Chris and for all X trans sensors, ie, an Adobe thing rather than a Fuji one.

I'm one of those folks who runs all my RAW files through Iridient X Transformer first and then imports the DNG's into LR so don't experience the issue.

Going to try C1 this Winter, but otherwise happy enough with the above scenario. Slightly higher workflow, but I normally set Iridient to do it's thing, go walk the dogs and then by the time I come back, start working in LR so no big deal.

8. Woodworth

Woodworth Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Thanks for your comments, pretty much what I thought too. Hopefully there will be a better version of Lightroom available one day soon.

9. versesinanelegiacmetre

-Return to Top-

Don't forget those of us who use Fuji raw and use lightroom and don't have an issue

roalk likes this.
  10. sth47

sth47 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Thank you for explaining. My first thought was of another Lightroom tool that I had not yet found.

11. versesinanelegiacmetre

-Return to Top-

It'll be there somewhere, those menus can be confusing :)

12. Jonimages

Jonimages Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I am Photoshop user, not Lightroom user but they both use the same ACR. I have bypassed the ACR raw sharpening and set all of them to zero. Instead I use unsharp mask in photoshop to my taste. I setup an action, and then it's applied in batch. The images are much more crispy.

13. KevinTheT

KevinTheT Member

-Return to Top-

Yes, there are still issues with this sensor and Lightroom. Anyone who says different is blowing smoke. While I use Lightroom to catalog my photos, anything I plan to print I process in Capture One and then Photoshop.

Turning off sharpening in Lightroom helps, but there is still an amount of sharpening and other "magic" Lightroom performs behind the curtain that can not be turned off resulting in odd results.

14. ysarex

ysarex Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Many are happy with the results they get from LR converting Fuji X-Trans raw files. That's fine. We just want to be sure for the benefit of potential new and prospective users that they get good info. So just to be clear there's a difference between saying, "I don't have a problem with it," versus saying, "It isn't real."

It's real: Adobe's inability to render fine detail anywhere near as well as competitive converters from Fuji X-Trans has been well documented and persists unchanged with the XT-3.

Chris, sorry to say I believe we are well past the point of hoping for an Adobe improvement.

Periodically it's necessary to test this as opposed to just talk about it. DPReview has a good test image in their XT-3 samples: Please login or register to view links

There's fine detail in the moss in the tree above the flutist. Adobe will render it, shall we say, all tarred up. Here's a version from RT that Adobe can't match: Please login or register to view links

Mr SMW and YogiMik like this.
  15. ysarex

ysarex Premium Member

-Return to Top-

That's because it's not really caused by sharpening. The problem derives from Adobe's demosaicing of the X-Trans CFA. Once that's done sharpening can exacerbate and/or reveal the problem but sharpening isn't the cause of the problem.

YogiMik and DaveX like this.
  16. versesinanelegiacmetre

-Return to Top-

Haven't seen it myself, so it's not real to me

17. ysarex

ysarex Premium Member

-Return to Top-

That's perfectly fine, just as long as you don't say that it's objectively not real.

Here's a 100% section from that test image from my post above:

adobe_rt.jpg

Now you don't have to say you haven't seen it. Of course maybe you can get LR to do better?

YogiMik likes this.
  18. versesinanelegiacmetre

-Return to Top-

I would never look at a image that close. Maybe that's the issue. I only look at the whole.

Phew..it's smokey in here.

DaveX likes this.
  19. DaveX

DaveX Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I have never seen it on any of my X cameras, but have seen the waxy skin on others images. I had heard all about the worms and waxy shin before I bought into the Fuji X but it did not stop me getting the cameras, I now only have the X-T3 which the Raw files go through Capture one so if the image is nice and in focus I will edit it if it`s not then it gets deleted.
    PS: I`m sure if I look at mine at 500% I might see it, but I never blow images up anyway so will never see it in mine.

20. DaveX

DaveX Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Very interesting that.