This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. Richard Hammersley

Richard Hammersley New Member

-Return to Top-

I purchased a second hand X100 some months ago, already had the XT1, love both cameras. I have really taken to the 23mm focal length.
    I am really unsure what to do.
    1st one, is the X100T worth upgrading to from the X100, can't afford the F.
    2nd one, should I get the 23 f2 for the XT1. Can't do both, I think I am leaning towards keeping the X100 and getting the 23 f2.
    Anyone any advice after doing any of the above?
    Thanks

2. YogiMik

YogiMik Premium Member

-Return to Top-

You have already answered your question. This is the best option IMHO.

3. kiwitracks

kiwitracks Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

I would say, that depends. I recently upgraded from the original X100 to the X100-T. Is it worth it? From a camera operation point of view: You'll be blown away by the advances. It's actually usable (don't get me wrong, I do love my original X100, but it's not the most responsive/user-friendly camera out there). Basically, you get a camera that's a decent improvement to the X-T1 in handling. And you'll still enjoy all the things that the X100 form factor is loved for. I have the X-T2 and love it. However, there's something about the little X100 line, that's just a joy to use. I don't have the 23mm 2.0, but the 23mm 1.4 and like it a lot. However, the X100 is just a different shooting experience than the bigger cameras...

4. The Judge

The Judge Member

-Return to Top-

What is the reason you have for wanting to upgrade? What photos will you be able to take that you can't take with what you have now?

That said: the X100T and XT1 have a similar control layout, at least for your right hand. The rear control dial and D pad are in the same places. An X100T would be a good complement to the XT1. The X100T also has the hybrid viewfinder that will let you see your focus in the optical viewfinder in real time with a picture-in-picture EVF and also has framelines that parallax correct in real time in manual focus mode.

The X100T has the second generation X Trans sensor that gives excellent black and white results from properly converted RAW files (as well as remarkable dynamic range - 1 shot HDR), but muddy, smeary JPEGs. There is a vocal minority who see a special subtlety in the original X100's Bayer files. I'm not sure if that has been important to you, but it's something to consider. An X100T would give similar results as your XT1, if you value consistency.

Regarding the lenses, I just tested out 12" x 8" prints from a display model XF 2/23 at Kenmore Camera in Washington State. It vignettes heavily in uncorrected RAW files and has noticeable CA, but has no optical distortion that would be visible in real world use. The X100 series lens is sharper, has lower contrast (in my X100S, but this is subject to sample variation) and has moustache distortion that is very difficult to correct for. I happen to love the X100 lens for those reasons. Call it character. The XF 2/23 happens to have a noticeably wider field of view than the X100 lens, and the XF 1.4/23 I've seen comparisons with. I happen to love this quirk as well. Lastly, the autofocus is faster and quieter using the XF 2/23.

I would caution against spending money you don't need to spend, but I hope you enjoy whatever you choose.

username likes this.
  5. The Judge

The Judge Member

-Return to Top-

Also, I don't know which lenses will be part of this month's sale, but you might be able to get an XF 1.4/23 on the used market for about the same price as a new XF 2/23, just to complicate things further.

6. streetsntravel

streetsntravel Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Hi Richard, welcome to the forum.

I can agree with everything said to this point. There are some very subtle differences between the 23mm on the X100 and the XF 23mm f/2. @The Judge has given you some good pointers. I have a X100 (original), 23mm f/2 and 23mm f/1.4 plus the 18-55mm.

I use the 23mm f/2 for streets and travel with my X-Pro2. I find it to be a good performer, but not perfect. It does have a bit wider view than the 23mm f/1.4. I find the software corrections to be satisfactory. However the 23mm f/1.4 is a superior lens optically and I use that for environmental portraiture and formal landscapes (when size isn't important). I much prefer the 23mm f/1.4, but I would not hesitate to use the f/2.

I find the operation speed of my X100 to be just too restricting for constant work - I'm also wearing it out and it can be erratic at times. I think I really prefer the X100 footprint as a constant companion, but I will not be upgrading that camera any time soon but on my X100 sized sensor the 23mm f/2 does very well optically.

Because there are all these subtleties floating around this particular topic, I'd suggest you try renting a 23mm ?? sometime when you have a few clear days and really put the rented lens, the X-Pro1 through its paces and stack it up against the X100.

For me this would be an agonizing decision as I like my X100 so much and there was a time I thought I'd never be without one. I used one as an only camera for several extended European trips and we still enjoy reviewing those images.

Another thing to consider is the focusing speed. The XF 23mm f/2 lens is clearly very quick in good light. When the light levels begin scraping bottom, the 23mm f/1.4 lens finds and locks focus more quickly and more consistently in my experience on an X-Pro2. I'm a low light shooter much of the time and this is an important difference to me. The f/1.4 aperture is also an excellent taking aperture (as well as a low-light focus aid) and I often look for excuses to use the lens wide open.

Now I'm really going to throw a wrench into this. If you are happy with the X100 as your 23mm lens. Have you thought about not doubling up on the focal length and adding the 35mm f/2 for the X-Pro1. It's a beautiful match to the X-Pro. The lens focusing motors are quiet and beat the previous 35mm for focus speed. The 35mm f/2 is my "portrait" lens, however the 35mm f/1.4 is better suited for serious portraits. Of course this if from a person who has at least one 23mm equivalent lens for every camera I've every owned, so for me doubling up is not a problem - each of my lenses has a role in my photography.

Good luck, I'd really suggest you pick one and rent to see if it's makes a difference over the X100. That may also help you on your X100 decision.

7. Richard Hammersley

Richard Hammersley New Member

-Return to Top-

Thanks everyone for your thoughts, I think I will try to rent one as suggested, yes I had toyed with the f1.4 as well, I have the 14mm which has the same manual focus.

I got the X100 after putting it off for months, it really was a want not a need, yes it has its problems but I just love everything about it.

Thanks again.