This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

X100F and Rode VideoMicro external mic compatibility?

Discussion in 'Videography' started by carcrafter22, Feb 17, 2017.

1. carcrafter22

carcrafter22 Member

-Return to Top-

I've decided to order an X100F to play with and am also looking for an external mic to play around with making some video (yes I know not a very good video camera).

Can anyone tell me if the Rodes VideoMicro external mic will be compatible with the X100F or X100T?
    In the specs it says that it is powered by the camera but I'm not sure if the x100 series audio is powered or not.

Sorry I don't know enough about video recording but I see some mic's are self powered while others are powered by the camera.

From the spec sheet
    • No battery required (powered by camera plug-in power - min 3V)

I assume if it would work with the T it will work with the F. I understand I will need to get a 3.5mm to 2.5mm adapter to plug into the Fuji.

Mic in question if you would like to see specs RĂ˜DE Microphones - VideoMicro Compact On-Camera Microphone

If you can recommend a similar sized mic that would be better suited I'd be happy to consider other options. I don't really want to use off camera mic's at this point just wanna do baby steps.

Thanks.

2. pszilard

pszilard remektek.smugmug.com

-Return to Top-

Yes, it should be fine. You will need a 3.5mm to 2.5mm adaptor, however. Also worth considering the Fujifilm MIC-ST1 which comes with a 2.5mm adaptor. (I like the Rode, but just sayin').

3. carcrafter22

carcrafter22 Member

-Return to Top-

Excellent, thank you.

4. visorvet

visorvet Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I would like to make the same microphone work with my new X-T20. The problem I've encountered is there are loads of 3-5-to-2.5mm adapters available but according to reviews none of them work well for microphone input - most seem to be made for headphones. Can anyone point me toward an adapter that will work with a microphone?

5. pszilard

pszilard remektek.smugmug.com

-Return to Top-

It is nonsense to say that one adaptor is for headphone and another for microphone. It is just a plug/socket adaptor. Make sure that the PLUG is 2.5mm and the socket is 3.5, and it is stereo. (the mic is mono, but one contact is used to supply voltage). The are often described as TRS, meaning 3 contacts: 1) Tip 2) Ring and 30 Sleeve.

Some adaptors are right angled and some straight. I prefer the right angle, but electrically there is no difference.

visorvet likes this.
  6. bwright

bwright New Member

-Return to Top-

Has the Rode Videomicro been proven to work with the X100F? I read in the manual that the X100F cannot accept a mic that draw power from the camera, which the Videomicro does. I have an X100F on order, as well as the Videomicro, so I'm hoping the combination will work.