This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

X100F focus error??

Discussion in 'X100F, X100T, X100S, X100, and X70' started by buck777, Jun 19, 2017.

1. buck777

buck777 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

purchased the X100f a month ago. Love it so much I purchased the TCL. Been working light a dream until today when I was doing a photo shoot. I whisked the TCL off and 'Focus error' came up. Realised I hadn't switched the menu over from conversion lens - did that - but three shots later the 'focus error ' came up. Switched off the camera and it sounded like it was going though an internal workout.
    Should I be worried? Or is this just part of the X100F changing from TCL back to normal and taking a few shots to settle back into normal mode.
    Just a bit disquieting when you've spent so much on the thing

2. Richard_R

Richard_R Eclectic eccentric

-Return to Top-

Two things.

Do you have a UV filter in front of the standard lens?
    Did you accidentally put the camera in macro mode?

3. buck777

buck777 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Hi Richard
    Yes kind of. I had a B+H 007 filter ( which is just glass )
    And I had used the macro for one of the shots.
    Does that throw the F into a focussing glitch?

4. Kimball Kinnison

Kimball Kinnison Premium Member

-Return to Top-

A filter in front is fine, it's how you fix the filter that is the problem.

If the filter is affixed onto a spacer or adapter then that gives sufficient spacing (about 6mm) so that the lens doesn't hit the glass on its travels.

If you've just fit the filter directly to the camera then it's likely the lens will hit the filter and cause the error.

buck777 likes this.
  5. Richard_R

-Return to Top-

The issue with the filter is well explained above and will cause an error. Take the filter off and point the camera towards you and turn it off and on and you will see the lens extend and retract.

In my experience if I accidentally put the X100s in macro it will simply not focus on anything that is more that about 2 metres from the camera. I don't know whether the F is the same but as its the same lens I suspect it might be. I does give you that "I've broken my camera" feeling when it happens.

AFAIK there is nothing electronic that happens to the camera when the TCL or WCL are fitted. All that happens is the camera says its using a 18mm or a 35mm lens in the Exif rather than a 23mm lens. Again lazy forgetful me has used the X100s plenty of times with the wrong setting with no apparent image problem. One day when I think about it I will some tripod shots of a brick wall with the correct and incorrect settings and see if there are any visual differences.

Love this on my FB thread this morning;

New Zealand Sport.

In the last 24 hours:

Baby Blacks beat England in the U/20 RWC final 64-17.
    New Zealand Rowers win 5 gold medals in one hour at the World Rowing Champs.
    Two New Zealand drivers win the Le Man's 24 hour endurance race.
    Team New Zealand win two more races in the America's Cup finals.
    New Zealand wins Gold at the World Canoe Champs in the Extreme slalom.

It's a special little country, innit!

buck777 likes this.
  6. buck777

buck777 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Thanks everyone for your prompt replies. I think you nailed it. I had a spacer with the filter on the lens but due to my rushed decision to remove the TCL I screwed the spacer back on the X100F filter first, so basically screwed the filter straight onto the lens.No wonder the camera was struggling. Very relieved that it's such an easy fix.
    Cheers

7. visorvet

visorvet Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Does the F have a macro mode?
    My x100T did not and I thought this mode/button was now absent on all the newer Fujis.

8. Kimball Kinnison

-Return to Top-

Mmmm...my X100T has a macro mode. I'm sure I have the latest f/w. Are you sure your T hasn't macro still?

9. Kimball Kinnison

-Return to Top-

I've recently decided after many years of X100 use to go naked. My current T version has no filter, it works just fine. Doesn't seem to be any flare issues without a hood, or dust issues without a filter.
    Try it without, saves all that discussion of filter or not, or hood or not !!

Trev and buck777 like this.
  10. Purpleorchid

Purpleorchid New Member

-Return to Top-

I thought macro mode in the x100f is gone. The camera is supposed to figure it out on its own and switch to macro on its own.

Edit: Found the blurb on the Please login or register to view links.

Auto Macro For Close-up Shots

Automatically switch to an AF mode optimized for close-up photography. Minimum working distance: 10cm. Outstanding shooting range and exceptional performance in a variety of scenes set this lens apart.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
  11. Kimball Kinnison

-Return to Top-

The T and before have a macro mode. The F along with all the latest generation X cams have automacro. No need to press a button.

The OP has his answer, it wasn't the macro activation.

12. buck777

buck777 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

You know what? I'm thinking I'll do the same

13. Kimball Kinnison

-Return to Top-

I a bit obsessive, so I set my camera on a tripod and shot a series into and side onto the sun with and without filter and hood; various combinations.
    I concluded that I couldn't tell the difference between the images; which had the hood or didn't. That concluded it for me! Naked from now on.

14. ChiDN

ChiDN Fujiholic Cub Fan

-Return to Top-

This hood made a difference on the X100T for me. No others did. Works a treat, wouldn't be without it. Not long after getting the camera took a picture towards low fall sun and it suffered from flare terribly. Repeated it, maybe not perfectly but..., after getting the hood and no flare. Also keeps my clumsy fingers off the lens and removes the need for a filter. Lens cap fits on it as well. Recommended.

Please login or register to view links

15. Richard_R

-Return to Top-

I have had one of those on my X100s for about 3 years. never had a lens cap on since I put the hood on. No longer needed and one less thing to loose.

Please login or register to view links

16. Kimball Kinnison

-Return to Top-

I would agree, it's whatever works for you. I got so involved in which hood/filter combo to use. I must have tried quite a few!!
    So a few minutes doing a test that satisfies me was my approach, and it's worked for me. I've even taken the filters off my XF lenses; life's too short for me at least.