This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

X100T AF Lock issues and other whines

Discussion in 'X100F, X100T, X100S, X100, and X70' started by peter-s-c, Apr 23, 2018.

1. JRick

JRick Premium Member

-Return to Top-

sounds like the OP learned on a SRT 101 like i did, and if you couldn't afford buying new batteries you could still shoot it //lol//

this has gotten me wondering if anyone else half presses before they get the EVF up to their eye ? i'm still fumbling with my X100F, but it speeds up my shooting and saves my battery better than setting Pre-AF, and i use that technique much more often than setting Pre-AF ON

always a trade off with battery power. plus 1 for setting high performance and screw the power management

2. Cary Lee

Cary Lee Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Sunny 16 rule still applies when shooting in manual. Besides...shooting at 3200 with a f16 aperture and slow shutter speed will only slow down the camera and make it work harder...that is probably why your getting blurred images. Your shutter speed is not fast enough and your moving your camera to cause it to blur...especially if you chimp a lot after your shots.

3. Jarbi

Jarbi Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

Sorry to hear that you are having problems with the 100T and street photography. That is what I use mine for and find that it works like a dream. Essentially, I use it like I always used my film Leica M, which is zone focus when possible and manual focusing when conditions permit or demand. Of course you cannot look down at the lens and manually adjust the focusing distance, which initially frustrated me, but you can use the focusing scale in the viewfinder. I have the camera set to Manual focus and back-button focusing. The key is to prevent the focusing ring from being bumped - tape is inelegant and not so practical; however, a rubber band around the lens provides just enough friction for you to be able to focus while preventing bumping. I usually have the distance set to 1.5 or 2m and an aperture of around f8, auto ISO takes care of the rest.

lawsofphysics likes this.
  4. peter-s-c

peter-s-c Member

-Return to Top-

I thought I'd resurrect this thread to say that I've fallen back on using the AF Lock after figuring out the face detection conflict. Now that my AF Lock works reliably, I do use it to set up zone focusing. Given the other limitations of the camera (AF Coma and fly-by-wire MF) the AF Lock method is the least of the evils.

However, at best it is a stop-gap. I was always a technically oriented photographer which tended to inhibit creativity as I concentrated on the gadget and not the image. I've worked hard to suppress my technical instincts and develop a more instinctive style of shooting. Having to fiddle with the gear is pushing me back to the bad old days when I worried about f stops and not the image. For example, I missed six shots today due to AF Coma as I had forgotten to lock the AF.

Anyway, I thought you might like to see a recent image that was shot while using the AF Lock - Zone Focusing method:

lady reading (1).jpg

Last edited: May 17, 2018
  5. peter-s-c

peter-s-c Member

-Return to Top-

:)

Originally an Agfa Isolette III then a Pentax K1000 - an SRT 101 in Pentax clothing . . .

6. peter-s-c

peter-s-c Member

-Return to Top-

I hadn't thought about a rubber band - didn't want to go the tape route. It's a good idea as it certainly does add some friction. I'm going to give back-button focusing a second chance now that the focusing ring just might stay put. Just got to get used to the light blue ring around the lens. ;)

It's a pity that Fujifilm never designed the camera with a manually coupled focusing ring like the 14mm f2.8 lens.