This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

X70 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'X100F, X100T, X100S, X100, and X70' started by robert, Jan 14, 2016.

1. BoredomFestival

BoredomFestival New Member

-Return to Top-

Glad to see someone with an in-cave-use comment on this camera -- I've been thinking of getting one as an upgrade to my usual cave camera (Sony RX100) and I think this convinces me to take the plunge. My only concern is dust/water (especially dust) intrusion, which usually kills my caving camera after a few years -- any idea how bad the X70 will be about this?

Also, what are you using to carry it -- a small Pelican case, or a padded bag or some sort, or something else?

TNcaveman likes this.
  2. TNcaveman

TNcaveman Member

-Return to Top-

@BoredomFestival I'm avoiding water with it for sure - but dust only worries me around the lens. Wear gloves and take them off before opening the case. Our caves are not often really dusty but sometimes. Mud is my main concern. I have an adapter ring from Amazon and a Hoya filter, which effectively seals the lens, at least where it goes in and out. And I got a screw-on metal lens cap from B&H. Here's some pics of the case, wrist strap and lens protection. Also, I have made my strap quick connect with these little plastic clips. I think I got them at Autozone? Hope this info helps.

Stephen

D61_5881.JPG

D61_5886.JPG

x70 in Case.jpg

D61_5887.JPG

3. BoredomFestival

-Return to Top-

Most caves out here are more dusty than muddy (at least the ones I care about). Was already planning on going the adapter+filter route; didn't realize that there is a screw-on cap that could go on top as well (can you point me at it)?

I have a waterproof/dense-foam bag (link: Please login or register to view links) that I think may work well, but will definitely get a Pelican 1050 as well. (I've used a Pelican 1010 for my RX100 for years).

I like the quick-connect; I have some s-biners like that already. But I'll probably use it with just wrist-strap most of the time. (Was just looking at wrist strap options but just using paracord like you have done is probably more sensible...)

Agreed that glove management is critical.

4. TNcaveman

TNcaveman Member

-Return to Top-

Please login or register to view links

It's a great option for a lens in a pack too. Can't come off and it's metal. I remembered using one for my Nikonos III back in the day. That was a tank :)

And my short straps are accessory cord - more like miniature caving rope.

Stephen

BoredomFestival likes this.
  5. BoredomFestival

-Return to Top-

I'm guessing that the difference between 550-lb-test paracord and 800-to-1000-lb-test accessory cord isn't gonna make a big difference in this case. :)

(The accessory cord is probably more supple than typical paracord, I guess...)

6. Mk1

Mk1 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

FDF81FAC-FB15-4FE7-B13C-50B99ABB213F.jpeg Still loving the little X70

7. MiguelATF

MiguelATF Member

-Return to Top-

One more recent X70 shot....damn this is a great little camera.

Halloween_Skull_Mask.jpg

Alexander Mosquera likes this.
  8. BoredomFestival

-Return to Top-

Valentine Cave, Lava Beds National Monument. LavaBeds-1.jpg

9. MiguelATF

MiguelATF Member

-Return to Top-

Great shot.

10. griveraphoto

griveraphoto Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Having fun shooting with my X70 at night.

2017_1008_07594000.jpg

2017_1008_07453900.jpg

2017_1008_07444500.jpg

TNcaveman likes this.
  11. orchard

orchard Premium Member

-Return to Top-

12. charumeyn

charumeyn Member

-Return to Top-

13. Twitchly

Twitchly New Member

-Return to Top-

I'm new to Fuji cameras; my DSLR is a Nikon. I love it but want something small and travel-worthy without sacrificing image quality. I recently played around with an X70 in a store, using my own SD card. Love the size and feel of this camera; love the controls (I shot film back in the day). But I had a lot of trouble getting a sharp shot with it (something I didn't know until I went home and looked at mum pictures). When I tapped the screen to select a focus point, I assumed that point would be in focus but it frequently wasn't, especially indoors. Even the store clerk who himself owns one of these wasn't able to focus correctly on a tripod leg inside the store. (Again, something I only discovered when I later looked at the pictures at home.)

There was also significant camera shake in my shots. I had it set to aperture priority and left the rest on automatic; now I'm wondering if I should've set the shutter to something speedy. I'm probably too used to the image stabilization of my Nikon, where I can easily take sharp shots with shutter speeds of 1/60 or even 1/30.

Obviously many of you are getting great, sharp shots with this camera. Did you have a learning curve with it regarding getting good focus? Do you have unnaturally steady hands? I'm planning to do another trial run with it because it really does tick most of the boxes for me. Any suggestions for settings to use on this trial run in order to see if the camera will work for me?

Alexander Mosquera likes this.
  14. griveraphoto

griveraphoto Premium Member

-Return to Top-

SOOC, B&W mode. highlights+1, shadows+1.

DSCF3758.JPG

Mk1 and TNcaveman like this.
  15. TNcaveman

TNcaveman Member

-Return to Top-

I have a X70, Nikon D610, my son has my Nikon D80 now, plus the cell phone camera. All of them have issues with focusing, sometimes. With a SLR, it is easier to know what's in focus. But, my little Fuji is right most of the time. As for shake, I can get good shots by shooting like I'm shooting a rifle - squeeze the trigger while controlling your breathing. My wife has noticed me doing this before.

Stephen

16. Twitchly

Twitchly New Member

-Return to Top-

Thanks, Stephen. I’ll give that a try. I think I’ll up the shutter speed, too.