This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Xe~3 Bluetooth broken?

Discussion in 'X-E1, X-E2, X-E2S and X-E3' started by BasharAr, Oct 7, 2017.

1. BasharAr

BasharAr Premium Member

-Return to Top-

xe~3 is making me feel like an idiot. I paired it with Bluetooth, iOS app/iPhone 7s says Bluetooth is connected, whenever I try to do anything with the app, because all it does is ask me to connect via WiFi?! Then why @#$& does it have Bluetooth. Is it only there to remind people to connect via WiFi!

2. Greybeard Photography

Greybeard Photography Active Member

-Return to Top-

People have said similar things on other forums.

Does it at least allow you to remote control the camera with BT rather than WiFi?

How about browsing images on the camera?

3. BasharAr

BasharAr Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Nothing, other then to remind you to use wifi?!! I hosnetly hope that I got this wrong!

4. Greybeard Photography

-Return to Top-

Hmm - BT was one of the reasons I have been considering the new camera - I understand that image transfer would use wifi but I kind of assumed that remote control would use always on Bluetooth.

5. BasharAr

BasharAr Premium Member

-Return to Top-

On my camera when I hit control (after the phone and camera confirming Bluetooth connection) it prompts me to activate wifi so it can work! Brilliant:)

6. Greybeard Photography

-Return to Top-

How is that different from having a function button on the camera set to start wifi?

Isn't it still a matter of starting the app on the phone and hitting a button on the camera?

7. BasharAr

BasharAr Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Bluetooth connects the camera to the. App without the need to go to settings on phone or app. You open the app with your connected Bluetooth and ask to control the camera, that puts the camera in WiFi pairing mode and the app asks you to set your WiFi, genius! You have saved me a function button Fuji!

8. Greybeard Photography

-Return to Top-

So it saves one button press on the camera?

I may still get the X-E3 but I'm less excited about the advantages of Bluetooth.

9. BasharAr

BasharAr Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Yes, Bluetooth is a joke (at least with my experience so far) Otherwise I love the camera for its size and convince. I had an xt -2 that I sold for this! Because it was more like a DSLR that stayed at home most of the time. I have a 35mm f2 that I am using with the xe-3 very happy, always wanted an x-100 with 35 range for people/family photography....
    -Touchscreen nothing to be excited about, very slow and sluggish...
    -Joystick, hell yessss, do not miss the dpad at all.
    I am sure Fuji will fix these issues sooner or later.

10. BasharAr

BasharAr Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Here is a quick video that shows what’s happening...sorry about the bad quality...

11. redsim74

redsim74 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Bluetooth generally sucks - and I use it a lot.

It's good for proximity applications, wireless audio, and short distance small payload data transfer - but doesn't have the bandwidth for large image transfers, or live view feed on the remote app.

I think about the best anyone could expect would be that a prompt appears on the phone to allow to switch to the camera's wi-fi network directly.

12. FujiApple

FujiApple Member

-Return to Top-

The Bluetooth didn’t work for geotagging or to initiate auto-downloading of images via WiFi.

Disappointing indeed.

13. BobbyR

BobbyR New Member

-Return to Top-

I had hoped for automatic geo-tagging with the camera/iPhone pairing. No such luck I guess. Too bad as I would buy the X-E3 if it had this capability. Weird omission but I know Fuji isn't the only maker that omits geotagging. Do they not know the iPhone is also a camera?...

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017 at 1:05 AM
  14. GregWard

GregWard Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Sorry but I find that a weird priority? I'm quite keen on geo-locating images myself. But it's very easy to do this via an App like GeoTags Pro. If the X-E3 is, in all other respects, a camera you would buy then I find it strange you'd avoid it because of the lack of geo-tagging. The iPhone does indeed have a camera - and quite a good one - but it's hardly comparable to an APS-C sized interchangeable lens camera!

15. BobbyR

BobbyR New Member

-Return to Top-

From what I've read there is no easy, reliable and automatic way to geo-tag photos taken with X series cameras. All methods appear to involve post-processing of some sort and all seem to have limitations and complexities. If there was a reliable and easy way to geotag photos I assume it would be documented somewhere.

As for the iPhone camera, you're right. It's quite good...

16. GregWard

GregWard Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I do it all the time (using GeoTag Photos 2) and it's very easy and without complications. There's a write-up on this forum. But it does involve post-processing. Personally I don't see that as an issue. It certainly would never be a reason for not buying a camera that was otherwise fit for my needs.

17. BasharAr

BasharAr Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I can see why someone will not buy the camera if geotagging is not working as it should. Tagging in post is a hideous workaround. A lot of us buy Fuji because we have no energy/time for post...

18. BobbyR

BobbyR New Member

-Return to Top-

I don't understand why they don't just put a $2 geotag chip in the camera and be done with it. So what if other high end cameras lack the feature. I'd buy the X-E3 tomorrow if it had it. As it is, I'm looking for a comparable camera that does have it. If there isn't one then I'll stick with my iPhone 7 which, as others have acknowledged, is very good...

19. GregWard

GregWard Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Probably because it isn't that simple? There are issues around the location of the aerial, the material of the case and room to put things etc.

The iPhone is good for what it is. But it's hardly a competitor to a Fuji interchangeable lens camera. If you're happy with it then that's great - stick with it and save the money.

20. BobbyR

BobbyR New Member

-Return to Top-

I'm sure there are issues but my 6 year old Canon S100 has geotagging and it works fine (but only outside). I'm sure Fuji could figure it out. Barring that, I'd be even happier with Bluetooth enabled tagging that transfers and tags the pictures as they are taken to the paired iPhone. That's harder to do than equipping the camera with a $2 chip but would be better as the iPhone uses GPS and cell tower information and always knows exactly where it is, even indoors.

That's actually what I thought Fuji was doing but, alas, no. Pity.