This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

XF 23mm F2 WR - not underwhelming.

Discussion in 'Native X-Mount Lens Forum' started by bophoto, Oct 16, 2016.

1. Phlip D Henderson

Phlip D Henderson Member

-Return to Top-

I'm usually not a wide angle guy but the 23 f2 is quickly becoming a fav...

BillC-PA likes this.
  2. digital_noise

digital_noise Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Please login or register to view links

Another positive review. I'll get over it eventually, but until then I'll take a jab at the member who kept claiming this lens had excessive distortion and relied on software to correct it...Stop being an internet parrot and sharing incorrect info. :)

Carry on..

JeffLiban likes this.
  3. Bud James

Bud James Premium Member

-Return to Top-

4. madmaxmedia

madmaxmedia Member

-Return to Top-

After all the past hoopla I think I am going to pick this up, I loved using the Olympus 17mm f/1.8 and that was not absolutely the sharpest tool in the shed either.

I do have one question regarding wide open close focus softness- is this phenomenon better/worse/equal to the X100 cameras? I noticed it in those cameras, but wasn't hard to work around (even though I shoot wide open a lot for subject isolation.) When you're really up close, depth-of-field gets really shallow so going down to f/2.8 or even f/4 doesn't have a huge impact IMO- you're still getting plenty of subject isolation.

If it's same or better as the X100's, I think I will be absolutely fine with the 23 f/2.

5. Paul Levin

Paul Levin Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Please login or register to view links

6. FMW

FMW Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I hate to tell you this but I believe you are demonstrating differences in depth of field at various apertures. The camera will focus on the shutter dial and the on/off text will sharpen as you stop down, not because the lens becomes sharper but because depth of field increases. This lens appears to be soft wide open. Almost every lens in the industry is soft wide open. By f2.8 it is quite sharp but doesn't have enough depth of field to bring the test in sharp. Nothing wrong or unusual about the performance of this lens.