This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. Grippybananas

Grippybananas New Member

-Return to Top-

Just read that ricoh gr3 coming out next year. I'm still glad I got this as price will probably remain cheaper than gr3

2. boulevardier

boulevardier Premium Member

-Return to Top-

GX80/85?

edit: the Panasonic is fractionally bigger but has a viewfinder, 24-62 pancake zoom (retractable when not in use), hotshoe, 5 axis IS, 4k video. Old sensor.

The FX10 looks very nice but the Gx80 is more of an all-rounder.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
  3. boulevardier

-Return to Top-

I never owned a GR/GRII, but part of its appeal was the long model life of each iteration. This was annoying for those who wanted the latest bells and whistles, and more importantly better AF, but good for residuals and general street appeal. Not everyone wants cutting edge tech in a camera, and the Ricoh was more than the sum of the parts. Very few digital cameras retain value for very long, but the GR/II along with the Epson R-D1 and Leica M8 defied specification obsolescence.

averageguy likes this.
  4. pcovers

pcovers Member

-Return to Top-

The GX85 competes with the Fuji X-E3. these two models are almost identically dimensioned, both have a viewfinder, and interchangeable lenses. The GX85 is 1mm longer than the X-E3.

If someone wants to Fuji with a view finder and they are seriously considering the gx85, then they really should be looking at the Fuji xe3 and not the fx10. If they want the fx10 because the xe3 is too large then the gx85 would be too large as well.

5. tijuana taxi

tijuana taxi Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Had both and the X-E3 viewfinder is so much better than the GX80, it also has an extra 8mp advantage.
    GX85 fights back with 5 axis ibis and tilting rear screen.

An even better comparison would be the GX9, that's what I settled on, still has inferior evf and 4mp deficit.
    Even better ibis when used with Panasonic ois lenses, combines the two in something called dual ois
    Tilting screen again and tilting evf too, the latter does actually come in handy at times, touchscreen is better as well

averageguy likes this.
  6. boulevardier

-Return to Top-

The issue isn't just body size, but lenses. My X-M1 is the same size as my old 2/3 sensor X10. With a comparable zoom is much larger and it ceases to be remotely pocketable. The XE series suffers from the same issue. APS-C sensor cameras can be made small with fixed lenses, but there are as yet no pancake zooms to the best of my knowledge.

7. boulevardier

-Return to Top-

Not sure if you are comparing the GX9 to the XE3 or the GX80, but the latter has all of those except the tilting EVF. I'm always interested in high quality compact cameras whatever the make.

8. tijuana taxi

tijuana taxi Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Didn't know the GX80 had dual ois, owned one as well, lagging behind the other two in mp count.
    GX9 is probably as near perfect for me apart from the evf, jpeg colours are definitely better than the GX80 too

9. pcovers

pcovers Member

-Return to Top-

I was only responding with respect to body size. There were a couple of earlier posts in this thread where the argument was that Fuji could have and should have put a viewfinder into the fx10. My position is there is no other similarly sized micro 4/3 or aps-c camera that has a viewfinder.

10. boulevardier

-Return to Top-

That's probably true. My first response was put on a 28mm OVF and it would be a great street photography camera. Unfortunately, no hotshoe.

11. macjim

macjim New Member

-Return to Top-

So far, I’m enjoying working with this camera. It’s pocketable and convenient to carry around but I have a couple of problems with it.
    One is the lack of a viewfinder but I knew that when I bought it... I can live with it. The second is a problem that can’t be got around and that is the lack of a way to add a lens hood. I’ve had a few images that have been deleted due to lens flare from direct sunlight hitting the lens. I don’t always see it when composing on the display but it’s something to watch out for... again, I can live with it but the main problem so far is with RAW images. I mainly shoot in RAW but so far. O software can open these RAW images (if you discount the dreadful Silkypix application), and it’s nothing new for Fujifilm and other software companies, so can’t edit the images on my iPad or MacBook... I wish Fujifilm would have these updates ready at launch of a new camera but that’s the same for all other manufacturers...
    I’m quite surprised with the JPG’s though as I have shot in JPG only for a day to test it out... under exposing to save the highlights, the details in the shadows can be lifted when editing... its a nice wee camera

12. pcovers

pcovers Member

-Return to Top-

I've resolved the lens hood problem with a cheap, attractive and functional fix. I purchased the JJ LH-X100 lens hood for $12.99, used a glue stick to attach a few thin strips of cloth insider the large diameter end of the hood, then slip the larger diameter end right on the front ring of the XF100. It provides just enough resistance to stay put and easy to remove if you want. As you can see, you could even add a 49mm filter if you wanted. You can turn the lens hood and the lens ring turns with it. Cheap, attractive, functional. I also added a cheap X100 lens cap which also fits on the smaller diameter end of the LH-X100 lens hood, as shown below.

20181007_192437_HDR.jpg 20181007_192526_HDR.jpg

13. fujixacros

fujixacros Premium Member

-Return to Top-

JJC RN-XF10 : JJC Filter Adapter & Lens Cap Kit for Fujifilm XF10

JJC RN-XF10 is specially designed for Fujifilm XF10 camera, which consists of a filter adapter, a Ф46mm lens cap, a lens cap keeper, and a spare 3M adhesive sticker. Made of premium aluminium alloy, the filter adapter is sturdy and durable. It allows you to put on an extra Ф46mm filter.

NB : The filter adapter is placed at the front of the lens , and the lens can still move with a few little movements like a bellows (0'20 -> 0'25)

This filter adapter can be used with JJC LH-46GF/LH-46GFII lens hood. (Panasonic Lumix G14 or G20)

Fujifilm XF10 JJC Kit.jpg

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018 at 12:59 AM
  14. fujixacros

fujixacros Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Fujifilm XF10 Review
    by ePhotozine (oct. 11, 2018)
    Please login or register to view links
    Introduction - Performance - Verdict - Specifications