This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Xpro 1 pricing

Discussion in 'X-Pro2 and X-Pro1' started by Phillym, Jun 18, 2017.

1. Phillym

Phillym Member

-Return to Top-

hello

Am I correct in saying that the xpro1 pricing on used cameras has increased over the past 6 months. I bought the xpro 2 last year but could not pull the trigger on selling my Xp1 for what seemed to be in the $350 range.

2. Skylark

Skylark Premium Member

-Return to Top-

From my experience they seem to sell consistently in the $400 - 500 range depending on condition and included accessories, thats since the Xpro2 came out.

3. F2Bthere

F2Bthere Premium Member

-Return to Top-

There was a window where you could find new Xpro1s for 500 as they disappeared. At that point, 350 was not unusual for the body.

I haven't looked as much recently...maybe the fact that Fuji is becoming quite popular of late, with so many current units out of stock, there might be a new pull, raising all boats.

There has been some pretty attractive pricing on the older bodies (XT1, XT10 and such).

4. Threaded

Threaded Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

There was a happy period here in the UK where you could buy a brand new X-Pro1, 27mm and 18mm lenses, and the official fuji leather case for £499 - essentially the body was free. Once those all sold out, and the XP2 was out, the rock bottom used prices started to creep up. Here a decent used example is probably £300 now, and that price seems pretty steady.

At the end of the day, the only true competition to the XP1 is still the XP2, and that's still £1,000 used.

boulevardier likes this.
  5. Paul Levin

Paul Levin Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

I agree with F2Bethere. There was a period of time where brand new XP ones were being sold by B&H and other places for $500. Picked one up myself at that time.
    The fact that you could buy a brand new one for $500 seriously depressed the price one could get for their used cameras.
    With those old stock blow-out deals now gone it would not surprise me to see to price for used XP1s heading back up. It's still a great camera.

6. CSG

CSG Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

It is a fabulous camera. I bought a new one too for that $500 price and matched it to a used 18-55. A few months back, I got the urge to sell the XP1 body and offered it here for $400. Not a single serious offer. I count my blessings that I didn't sell it. Once I sat down with it again to review operations and then went shooting with it, I realized that selling it would have been a terrible mistake. It's worth more than the $500 they were blown out for.

7. rokphish

rokphish Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I'm eyeing the xp1, but now tempted with E1 for half the price... Decision... Decision...

8. Threaded

Threaded Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

Go for the XP1. I've had both and really, although the IQ and performance is very similar, they're very different cameras.

The X-E1 is cheaper because it's the cut down consumer version, half made out of plastic, chintzier feeling controls, a poor quality low-res LCD - it's one big selling point over the X-Pro1 is supposed to be its higher res OLED EVF, but in anything less than good light it's laggier than the XP1 and of course you have no optical finder to switch to instead.

More than all of that though, it just isn't an X-Pro1. It's competent and capable, but it doesn't have the magic.

rokphish likes this.
  9. dee Dowling

dee Dowling Member

-Return to Top-

I picked up mine , last August , for £168 , new boxed , added a new 27mm @ £150 and could not be more content . Love it , so discrete compared to an SLR , and the OVF making sunshine a breeze .
    Perfect for street shots during a a rare Holiday in Malaysia .
    Just caught an X-M1 16-50 ex-dem without ancillaries @ £162 mostly for the lens , but it will make a neat handbag notebook with the 27mm , maybe ousting the elegant XF1 !
    Of course , I can use the X-Pro charger , just gotta add a battery and lens cap [ yes - it really was stripped bare ]

10. rokphish

rokphish Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Any more of the xp1 around?

11. dee Dowling

dee Dowling Member

-Return to Top-

Sorry - The X-M1 was a one off - just like the others.

I have a theory that serious photographers don't go to white goods stores [ Currys in UK ] or retail stores [ John Lewis ] .
    There is ignorance among staff and no interest whatsoever .
    It's just economics to bang out items which are past their sale date with little regard for their ' value ' to an impoverished snap shooter !
    Retirement means the time to snoop around these places and check them out on line .
    I missed on of the X-Pros because I had little awareness , went back the next day and another , not even taken out of the box was found .
    A Pentax KS1 / zoom/35mm new , £260 boxed was easier as I have a K10D.
    I even discounted the X-M1 ,I had to had to return the next day .
    I guess that it is chance plus persistence .

Come to think about it - £750 is not too bad for a new X-Pro 1 , X-M1 and a Pentax K-S1 of DSLR duties !
    Of course , I could have bought a single cracking up to date camera for that gradual [ less noticeable outlay ], but I like the flexibility .

Good luck tracking down those bargains .

dee

12. grick

grick Active Member

-Return to Top-

I just won an eBay auction for a "mint" condition X-Pro1. It comes with an original receipt form when the owner bought it last year, glass over the screen and a X-Pro1 Fuji Grip. I have been looking for a while and it seems that the ones that are in the $350 to $400 range look used and somewhat rough.

I wanted one that was "newish" - not all scarred and scratched and dinged - and I wanted to get a grip and a screen protector down the road. This was beautiful in the photos and had what I wanted. I paid $500 US. Maybe I paid too much, but I was also looking at X-Pro2's for starting bid of $1000 US.

13. boulevardier

boulevardier Premium Member

-Return to Top-

That's true. While the XP2 is undoubtedly an improved camera in some ways, in essence it's the same beast as the XP1. No one's buying them for sports or wildlife, so the improvements are of marginal interest to the typical X-Pro user who may not want to pay a premium for the latest model.

In some ways I'm surprised the latest iteration is so close to the original, which had a shelf life close to 5 years - remarkable for a modern digital camera, and was being discounted heavily towards the end. I'm pleased Fuji stuck with it, as there's nothing quite like the X-Pro's apart from, arguably, the Leicas. I still wish Fuji would bring out a genuine rangefinder and put the cat among the pigeons.

14. F2Bthere

F2Bthere Premium Member

-Return to Top-

For me, it's a bit more nuanced.

The Xpro2 is a significant step forward compared to the Xpro1. I felt some hesitation when recommending the Xpro1. I considered it the best camera I had used for me. But it has some rough edges. Once I explained the shortcomings or let them experience them with my camera, I would then feel comfortable recommending it. Otherwise, at the time, the XT1 was a "safer" recommendation.

The Xpro2 brought the Xpro cameras to a place where anyone could buy it and enjoy the camera. There is still some learning curve involved, but that's just because it runs differently from a P&S or an SLR.

So for new users, Xpro2 is a "safer" recommendation. And it does have some great new features and runs a bit better.

That isn't to say someone who has and is happy with the Xpro1 "needs" to upgrade. They don't. It's just as good as ever..in fact, even better thanks to all the free upgrades.

And if the cost of the Xpro2 is a problem and the person is comfortable with the Xpro1, there is no reason not to get one.

But there are also good reasons to get or upgrade to the Xpro2.

15. Mischa

Mischa Vintage lover

-Return to Top-

Bought mine for 250 over a year ago. Selling it now for 300, but with thumbgrip, leather half case and soft release.
    Guess, I could've asked for more...

16. boulevardier

boulevardier Premium Member

-Return to Top-

The X-Pro has always been a quirky camera. It's as likely to be seen with vintage glass as the latest Fuji-X mount lens. People don't really need an optical finder, the best EVFs are sufficient, but some prefer glass. At 16 mp the X-Pro1 is way off the pace of what digital cameras are capable of, but still good enough for the vast majority of users. For people who want to opt out of the digital arms race but still want a camera, the X-Pro1 is a safe haven. It's solid, competent, versatile, inexpensive and along with the Epson R-D1, one of very few digital cameras that can be spoken of in classic terms.

The X-Pro1 is a good buy for someone who wants to beat their camera to death, and isn't worried about scratches, residuals or what the rest of the photographic world is doing. It isn't a gear head's camera and won't do a single thing better than anyone else, but the X-Pro1 is more than the sum of its parts and the only limitation is the photographer pressing the shutter. The only thing it stinks at is video, and for that I keep a Canon DSLR.

Pedro1948 likes this.
  17. Skylark

Skylark Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I love my Xpro1 but I'm selling it because I find the EVF resolution just is a little low for zoomed in fine focusing with adapted manual lens, the newer EVF on my Xt10 is a good leap ahead in that regard. I love the rangefinder form factor of the Xpro1 but the Xpro2 is out of my budget so I'll be looking to get an Xt1 to complement the Xt10.