This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Xpro 2 Firmware 5.0

Discussion in 'X-Pro2 and X-Pro1' started by Phillym, Jul 2, 2018.

1. Phillym

Phillym Member

-Return to Top-

hello

Has anyone heard anything more on the 5.0 updat. It was scheduled for a release in May and then got pushed until July. What’s up Fuji? Is it coming or not?

2. mikEm13

mikEm13 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

From what Ive read it doesn't add much at all. That said I have no idea when or if it will be released.

3. Shadowside

Shadowside Good Glass is Forever...

-Return to Top-

Last update from Fuji was it would be here in July...

4. F2Bthere

F2Bthere Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I hope the delay means focus stacking is being added :).

Pierrexp2 and Shadowside like this.
  5. Richard_Reich

Richard_Reich Member

-Return to Top-

Me too. But I think the chance of that is vanishingly small. I fear Fujifilm engineers are constrained by a marketing decision to brand the rangefinder-style cameras as nostalgia/hipster items only. I have always seen them as optimally engineered items. I guess I was wrong.

6. F2Bthere

F2Bthere Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Perhaps.

But they did add tethered shooting to the Xpro2. For which I am immensely greatful. So if that was their thinking, perhaps it has transitioned.

YogiMik and Richard_Reich like this.
  7. AdrianG

AdrianG Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Any further FW features can only add very, very little to the power or completeness of the XP2. It already is the most powerful camera of its kind by a large margin and even a potential XP3 or a similarish Canikon mirrorless attempt won’t be much better. Calling it a nostalgia or hipster item implies you seem to have missed its point entirely. Adding focus stacking to it is like adding a flagpole to the summit of the Everest. It’s not going to turn it into something completely different and it’s not going to shrink down to hill size without it.

StephenL and YogiMik like this.
  8. YogiMik

YogiMik Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I see here, the point is completely missed, and people brainwashed by DSLR marketing tactics don't see what RF really is.
    And, what useful benefits of RF are . .
    If you ask me, SLR style of camera should not exist at all. Why? Because it's ill designed.

LionSpeed likes this.
  9. gyoung

gyoung Premium Member

-Return to Top-

For the sort of thing I do with the Xpro2 none of these gizmos and toys are necessary, single point af-s is enough, its the ovf that makes it worth buying. Otherwise, for the technical stuff then the X-T2 is the way to go.

Gerry

Tomosius likes this.
  10. AdrianG

AdrianG Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Most people including myself can’t agree with you on that one, Mik. Even though I don’t personally prefer TTL view finders I clearly see their undeniable advantages. As far as I know there are currently only three range finder cameras available, the XP2, the M10 and the X100f. That speaks for itself. Focus stacking is a good example for the advantages of SLR-ish cameras. It only makes potentially sense thanks to the XP2‘s auxiliary EVF. If it was a banal mechanical range finder like the Leica M it couldn’t even be used for macro photography.

wikxzen likes this.
  11. Threaded

Threaded Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I think what makes the XP2 (and the X-Pro line generally) most interesting is that it's neither a rangefinder or an SLR. We all get fooled by the retro styling into thinking it must fit into one of those analogue boxes, but the reality is it's probably the most modern and unique camera design out there, made possible only by digital and mirrorless technology. So yes it could potentially do focus stacking just fine because it has an evf and rear screen, it can do fast action tracking through the OVF with no electronic lag or viewfinder blackout, it can do discrete and see-around-the-frame street stuff, its capable of all these things more than any strict rangefinder or DSLR would be by themselves.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
    Richard_Reich likes this.
  12. Spock66

Spock66 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I have no need for features such as focus stacking, but I would assume since the X-Pro 2 has largely the same hardware platform as the XT-2 it would be very minimal development for Fuji to add the same feature set, therefore I see no reason why they are not included in the update. If you don't need those features then you simply don't use them, ok it might add some clutter to the menus, but with the custom menu feature that is not really an issue.

It does seem a little strange that Fuji have such a major upgrade for the XT-2 when they are now pricing it low to either make way for an XT-3 or push people towards the XH-1. So as an X-Pro 2 user I do feel a bit short changed even though I have no particular need for the new features.

wikxzen likes this.
  13. YogiMik

YogiMik Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I agree to disagree . . just for me, as a leftie in specs, SLR practically, ergonomically doesn't work.

14. gunda

gunda Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I feel much the same about certain other firmware upgrades that the X-T2 got and the Pro2 missed out on. Why not include them? I regard it as artificial product differentiation to exclude the Pro2 from getting them. But I know there are some here who would object to feature clutter were that to happen. Which seems odd to me, because as you say, if you don't want them then simply don't use them. Unfortunately Fuji seems to have opted for the artificial differentiation position.

[There may be issues with how much room exists in the firmware update to include additional features, given the Pro2 has the hybrid viewfinder to operate as well. I noticed that early cameras like the T1 & E2 had firmware updates around 40Mb. The Pro2 around 50Mb. For the newer E3 it's just over 100Mb, or twice the size. Why? Perhaps FF have learned a lesson and now leave plenty of room for future updates?]

15. Threaded

Threaded Premium Member

-Return to Top-

The E3 is odd - when it was new and people first noticed the file size it was assumed that some of its new features needed all this space and there were concerns that they wouldn’t come to any older models.

But then not only did the X-T2 and X-Pro2 get updates for all the same features, but the even more advanced XH1 was released and tho and behold - it’s own update files are back to 50mb.