This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

XPro1 OVF viewfinder question

Discussion in 'X-Pro2 and X-Pro1' started by BKphotog, Jun 13, 2018.

1. BKphotog

BKphotog New Member

-Return to Top-

While I've had my XPro1 for quite awhile, I rarely use it, preferring my XE1 instead. Today, I decided to take the XP1 out, mount my 27mm on it and use it for a night shoot. As a street shooter, I prefer to shoot in P mode, single frame composing and focusing using the LED screen... and rarely the OVF...
    My question is - in the OVF, there are what appear to be two separate focus frames, and in between them, the actual green focus frame. Is there some way to bring this down to single focus frame only? Are my settings incorrect to do so?
    Given the nature of my work, I have neither the time, nor the desire to shoot in M mode.
    Your thoughts/suggestions please. Thx

2. fujixacros

fujixacros Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Hello ,

Those one ?

Fujifilm X-Pro1 p70.png

3. Reg Isteredtoviewlinks

Reg Isteredtoviewlinks Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Because the lens "sees" a slightly different image than the optical finder the frame line you are seeing are an attempt to combat this discrepancy.

If you focus on something far away this parallax effect will be small and the frames and green frame will be near identical. If you focus on something near the parallax effect will be huge and the frames attempt to show this. You will see the frames at their widest variation and must move the camera to compensate.

You can turn off this "helper" in the menu, or just take with the electronic finder which, obviously, doesn't exhibit parallax.

4. BKphotog

BKphotog New Member

-Return to Top-

Thank you both. Based on your input, the issue appears to be resolved.

5. GregWard

GregWard Moderator Staff Member

-Return to Top-

To be clear this is nothing to do with "M mode" (I assume you mean manual focus mode here?) This is actually more of a requirement for autofocusing because it is the cameras way of warning you that the AF point may not be where you expected.

When using AF and the OVF you may need to use a double focus technique (initial focus, reposition, then focus again). It takes some getting used to but is necessary if you are focussing on anything close to the camera. All necessary with the EVF of course.

6. BKphotog

BKphotog New Member

-Return to Top-

Thank you Greg and thank you all. Think I’ve now got what I need to deal with this issue.
    Again - my thanks! B.

GregWard likes this.
  7. verysame

verysame Member

-Return to Top-

I'm not an X-Pro user, but coming here and reading the posts on this forum is a pleasure. Always plenty of information, nice people and never disappointed with the solutions.
    I'm becoming addicted to this place, I'm visiting it everyday, regardless I need it or not :)

GregWard likes this.
  8. GregWard

GregWard Moderator Staff Member

-Return to Top-

Glad you like it. :)