This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Yashica/YUS 135mm 2.8 58mm filter

Discussion in 'Adapted Lens Forum' started by cbass, Jan 13, 2018.

1. cbass

cbass Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

Most of the Yashica DSB and YUS 135mm 2.8 lenses I have seen have a 55 mm filter thread. This one has a 58mm filter thread. Here is sample picture of a plastic chicken shot wide open @f2.8 at ISO 200 after some quick editing. Not bad for a lens this old. It's also the perfect size. Without adapter it's about the size of the 18-55 kit lens just heavier.

[​IMG]

Out of camera jpeg without editing. ISO 200 f2.8. It's a little soft and you see some CA.

[​IMG]

Out of the camera jpeg stopped down to f4 at ISO 200. The sharpness drastically improves and still has good bokeh.

[​IMG]

Irene McC and Tara Elizabeth like this.
  2. cbass

cbass Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

In case someone is interested and since I already wasted a good amount of time looking into it. I have found 3 different looking 135mm f.28 YUS lenses. I am not sure if there is any difference in image quality or not. One of them also looks to be the same as the Yashica 135mm 2.8 DSB. You can look at the hyperfocal distance scale to identify them.

Version 1. 55mm filter thread. I have only seen it sold under the YUS brand.

[​IMG]

Version 2. 55mm filter thread. This one seems to be exactly the same as the Yashica DSB.

[​IMG]

Version 3. 58mm filter thread. I have only seen it sold under the YUS brand.

[​IMG]

I have also seen similar lenses for sale under an Owen brand name.

Tara Elizabeth likes this.
  3. cbass

cbass Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

Also, in case anyone is interested in adapters. I ordered a K&F concepts adapter based on feedback, but I could not find one locally and it is shipping from China. That was taking too long so I ended getting this one instead:

It's a couple dollars cheaper and great quality. I have zero complaints. The machining is accurate making it a great fit at both the c/y mount side and fuji x mount side. I have had no issues taking it off and on. It also is able to focus to infinity without issue.

4. Tara Elizabeth

Tara Elizabeth Moderator Staff Member

-Return to Top-

Wow, those are absolutely tiny for 135mm. My Konica 135 3.2 is nearly double the size. Fortunately, the Konica adapter is so small and barely adds any length.
    Love the shots and the rendering. Yashicas seem to be a real "bang for buck" brand.

5. FMW

FMW Premium Member

-Return to Top-

The Yashica 135 is a spectacular performer. I don't know why but mine is about as good as any medium telephoto I've ever used.

6. FMW

FMW Premium Member

-Return to Top-

The Yashica 135 is a spectacular performer. I don't know why but mine is about as good as any medium telephoto I've ever used. I included a photo of it below. It measures 2 7/8" from the top of the barrel to the top of the lens mount.

yashica135.jpg

7. Dirk Offringa

Dirk Offringa Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I posted a couple of shots from this lens in another thread some days ago (the 135mm DSB version, that's the one pictured just above). It's indeed a spectacular performer. My fav 135mm.

Here's the thread:

Please login or register to view links

8. cbass

cbass Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

Looks like there is another thread with sample pictures from what I called version 1. Also, fantastic results so looks like all are good.

Please login or register to view links

9. Zurubi

Zurubi Premium Member

-Return to Top-

PM-ed you, could you take a look and provide advice?

thank!

10. Activatedfx

Activatedfx Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Ha! That's my post from a few years ago. I still have that YUS 135/2.8 (55mm filter). It doesn't go out very much, but when it does, I am always very happy with the results! The colors, contrast and bokeh are amazing...

11. cbass

cbass Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

In case anyone is interested. Here is the Yashica/YUS 135mm next to the Fuji 18-55 kits lens.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Once you mount the adapter it does add some length, but still a manageable lens.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]